How to release green loctite

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by D.Camilleri, Jan 15, 2008.

1. D.Camilleri

D.Camilleri Well-Known Member

Does anyone know an effective way to release green loctite? My muzzle break was installed with green loctite and I would like to remove it without destroying it.

Thanks

2. hogwild

hogwild Well-Known Member

With the green loctite you would have to use some form of heat. Ya might get it with out heat but it's better to be safe than sorry.

3. Black Diamond 408

Black Diamond 408 Well-Known Member

Its going to take around 300-400 degrees of heat to break the bond.

dave

4. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Hogwild and BD,

Wheeeew! that gives me way more confidence in what I've been doing.:rolleyes:

Good post. Thanks.

5. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

Easy fix.

Hose it with Kroil and then go after it with a hot air gun.

The hot air will get it plenty hot without hurting anything. Keep the heat on it till it starts really smoking good. White smoke will just roll off the thing.

Then shut it down and the brake should come right off.

Clean the threads real good before assembly.

Remember, it is important to remove a break and clean the crown from time to time. This means, no lock tite. Just use a dab of anti seize or Copper grease.

Works great and won't hurt anything.

Good luck

6. D.Camilleri

Thanks for all the replies! I will give it a shot with the hot air gun, I like this idea a lot better than my torch!

7. Wild_Bill

Wild_Bill Well-Known Member

boiling water

Hi just boil the jug and pour it over the joint. do this one or two tomes and the loctite will release. we always do this to release the green loctite that we use on full bore barrels that have a sightblock on them we just make the grub screws align the block and the loctite holds it in place.

Cheers Bill
    Australia

8. K31Swiss

K31Swiss New Member

9. Boss Hoss

Boss Hoss Well-Known Member

This is the way my Smith does it when someone screws up and uses locktite on a muzzle break.

10. D.Camilleri

Hit both breaks with the hot air gun last night. Use 400 degree temp stick and got the breaks to come off. I didn't find any locktite residue, so maybe the smith didn't remember correctly. What I did find however is the crown on the barrel under the break, seems to be a straight cut counter bore about .125 deep. My other barrel had about an 11 degree angled crown under the brake. How critical is this and what is best.? Both brakes have an 11 degree crown on the out side.