How to determine COAL on breech single shot?

UCzO___

Getting ready to start load development on a buddies TC .30-06 breech. What is the best way to get max COAL? I can't use the Hornady gauge so I assume get a sized case seated long and try to close until I can or it shoves it in based on neck tension.
TIA,
Tommy

Cut two slits opposite each other in the neck with a .040" cut off wheel in a Dremel and seat a bullet long. This will get you real close to the actual measurement without jamming the lands.
This is how I have done it for decades.

Cheers.

The real problem is the Encore ejectors will not let you set the case into chamber without closing breech which can muddy waters on good solid measurements of throat measurement. Since you only have to do this once, much easier to remove barrel which takes ejector pressure off and you can then use MM's method or Hornady or Sinclair whatever to do it easiest.

The real problem is the Encore ejectors will not let you set the case into chamber without closing breech which can muddy waters on good solid measurements of throat measurement. Since you only have to do this once, much easier to remove barrel which takes ejector pressure off and you can then use MM's method or Hornady or Sinclair whatever to do it easiest.
How do the ejectors stop the breech face from contacting the case??
I have several doubles and this technique works flawlessly for them.

Cheers.
P. S.
I have never worked on a TC Encore.

Thanks for the quick responses. I will pull it back out tonight and try the techniques. I was surprised when he opened the case as I was expecting a bolt-action and thought he had brought his inline muzzleloader. This is a great hobby and even better community. thanks again!