How To Bead Blast ??

Wedgy

I used to have access to bead blaster and cabinet but now I have to take my items to the auto parts store and the guy there is finicky on both price and turn around time or the professional place who has an $80 minimum so I'm thinking about getting my own equipment. Not the professional stuff but something from Hong Kong Freight as I do a couple actions, bolts, barrels a year, and I enjoy doing my own parts. I have a couple compressors(up to 60 gallons) but don't know what type of blaster or even what type of media I was using but the cabinet was similar to this $200 one. Any advice on a decent gun, what media, grit, etc. is appreciated. Mostly taking off the blueing off parts and roughing up shiny surfaces in preparation for Duracoat.
There's two pages of stuff on here to look thru, let me know if there's anything worthwhile that could handle a couple small jobs a year.
All advice is appreciated, thanks !
Search results for: 'blaster'

Attachments

• 62144_zzz_500.jpg
    62144_zzz_500.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 116
I have the cabinet you pictured for larger jobs (I even added an extension to handle a barreled
action). it works good but the dust collection can be a problem.

For small or touch up jobs, I use the hand/gravity model (95793) outside to avoid dust. but you cant reuse the media.

Both have there place and benefits.

J E CUSTOM

That's what I was thinking, just doing small jobs outside. What media, how much air reserve tank, and pressure are you using ?

Glass beads at 65 PSI. for pre blueing. Aluminum Oxide is recommended for pre Cera-Kote.

+1

I also use sugar sand for some Stainless barrel finishes. It flows good through the hand held blaster
and is cheep. (Around $8;00 for 50 pounds) It also does a nice job of freshening stainless barreled actions.

PS: I use 90 PSI for sand media.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the relies !
I got the gun and a 50lb box of 70 grit aluminum oxide, it was all they had other than 5lb jars of glass. Went out to test it and it worked great. I figured as long as I have the compressor, hose, et. rolled out I should just finish the job so I did two barreled actions and a couple bolt handles in the front yard. It was 107F and I was wearing shorts, a mask, and goggles(safety first), and sweating...a lot. I believe the term is "sugar doughnut" but in black, in my hair, ears, everywhere. Took a shower with the garden hose and was done. I will wear a hat, shirt, etc. next time but glad it's doable without the cabinet because I really don't have the room for it.

The aluminum oxide media was $44, more than double the price of the gun so I'm interested in "sugar sand" but haven't seen it called that anywhere. What do they call it at Home Depot, Lowes, or a stone yard ? I only see fine sand, coarse sand, play box sand, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the relies !
I got the gun and a 50lb box of 70 grit aluminum oxide, it was all they had other than 5lb jars of glass. Went out to test it and it worked great. I figured as long as I have the compressor, hose, et. rolled out I should just finish the job so I did two barreled actions and a couple bolt handles in the front yard. It was 107F and I was wearing shorts, a mask, and goggles(safety first), and sweating...a lot. I believe the term is "sugar doughnut" but in black, in my hair, ears, everywhere. Took a shower with the garden hose and was done. I will wear a hat, shirt, etc. next time but glad it's doable without the cabinet because I really don't have the room for it.

The aluminum oxide media was $44, more than double the price of the gun so I'm interested in "sugar sand" but haven't seen it called that anywhere. What do they call it at Home Depot, Lowes, or a stone yard ? I only see fine sand, coarse sand, play box sand, etc.

Thanks again for the help.

The fine sand would be very close to sugar sand. Most contractor supply should have it.

It is white and looks and feels like sugar.

Also Northern supply has a hood that will keep the media out of your hair and face.

abrasive blast hoods from Northern Tool + Equipment

J E CUSTOM

for duracoat or cerakote I use 120 Aluminum Oxide, at 80-100 psi, ordered from wallmart actually, for matte blast on stainless I use a trinco #3 mix that I got in deal, but I can hardly find it anywhere. harbor freight glass beads are too rough, So I would like to try JE's suger sand also, I normally turn psi down for matte SS and after rub vigorously with 0000 steel wool and wd-40, clean good then hit with rem oil. blast gun and cabinet part from Tptools. I love their guns. convert cheap cabinets to gravity feed or addshaker, keep media dry helps also

As part of this blasting project I did these bolts I had fluted, first coating the Savage in tan, then a thin layer of black over it. I then wet sanded with #600 the ridges of the black off so it's only in the flutes. Would be easier to spin in a lathe but hand sanding worked.
thanks again for all the advice !

Attachments

• rem.jpg
    rem.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 112
  • rem6.jpg
    rem6.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 99
  • sav.jpg
    sav.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 109
  • sav2.jpg
    sav2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 105
  • sav4.jpg
    sav4.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.