How to adjust Lee bullet seating die to correct COL on first try

tailbon3

I hope this helps someone else out there. I think I've figured out a way to seat bullets to the proper C.O.L with much less trial and error. You guys probably already do this so I apologize if this is common knowledge. Anyway... here's what I do.

1. After case prep, put a bullet on top of an empty case with your fingers and measure the C.O.L
    [**]In my case this number was 2.958"
  2. Subtract the length from step 1 from your desired C.O.L ( 2.968" - 2.800" = .168" )
  3. Now, over on your reloading press, raise the case with the bullet up until just touches the seating plug
  4. Using the spread-measure part of your calipers, measure the distance between the case holder and the bottom of the die and adjust the bullet seating die depth until it matches your needed measurement from step 2
  5. Seat your bullet and measure - you are really close if not right on...

Attachments

• bullet-seating-depth1.jpg
    bullet-seating-depth1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 191
Or make a dumby round, for each bullet you use. Keep them in a die box or shell holder on your desk. Insert into your press, back the adjuster off. Lift shell with press then adjust till u feel it touch, back off a hair. Remove, swap for a new, ready to squish round. Press it, check oal adjust as needed...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts