how should this perform ?

Catbrain

I have handloaded some 300 hollow point hornadys 300 grain 45-70's
going ( i think ) about 1600 fps. Out of a 16 inch marlin GBL with a 3-9
on top. (mine group about 3/4 inch where as the winchester factory loadsare like 12 inches at 100 -- ***)

Should this be a good load out to 200 yds for medium TN deer ?
Like to avoid tracking into a bushwack----

Depends on how much holdover you need at 200yds? seems like 300gn at 1600 will be a lot.
Is this your only deer rifle? If your looking to avoid tracking you dont need a bigger bullet you need shot placement.

The Hornady 300 hp is pretty soft and will expand readily. Not that it really needs to.
Shoot a line of water-filled jugs to see it. Expect it to arrest in the 5th gallon, but it may go a little farther. Dont expect that to mirror what it does in an animal, just that it does relative to other bullets. A flat nosed trapdoor load can go through 14 jugs, carve a 36" groove in graded soil and spin off over the landscape for a good bit. Compared to the 300 hp stopping in 5 jugs.

does anyone have feedback/experience with the 444 now that they brought back the marlin in that caliber. A lot flatter shooting than the 45-70----- but still a respectable freight train.
I've been shooting the 444 since 99'
The Hornady 300gr @ 2200 will Penetrate many deer! Its a darn fine bullet
I prefer the Speer 270gr for 🦌 its a bit faster & opens a bit more than the 300 gr
The 265 gr Hornady LeverEvolution is a darn fine round & better if one will be shooting Farther. All the deer I've taken with the 444 have been around 60-70 yards, Splat! Jump jump Fall
Large exits thru the ribs, no bloodshot

Based upon the number that you provided, 300 grain bullet running at 1600fps I got with a 100 yard zero and a Barnes 300 TSX FB, the bullet will be 17.69 inches low at 200 yards with 885 foot pounds of energy. It will be about an 1 inch high at 50 yards. I shoot a Barnes TSX FB 300gr bullet running around 2200fps out of our Marlin 1895s, with a 50 yard zero the bullet is running around 1/2 inch low at 100 yards and 9.68 inches low at 200 yards, and 1653 foot pounds of energy. I would like to add for me personally I would prefer something a little more than 885 foot pounds of muzzle energy for deer hunting. What is the reason behind the 1600 fps velocity?

Last edited:
the 300 gr hollow point in 45-70 can be loaded up to 2000
or a little over---- but i was trying to be easy on the shoulder. Souldnt be too much to work it up to 1800.
At 1600----the balistic program showed about 6 inches drop at 150 and about 18 at 200. Prob wouldnt want to go past 200.

I have sone hard cast gas checked 405 grainers--- but those would just zip through several deer and not even blunt the nose if they didnt hit a major bone. Maybe even if they did.
Thats why I wanted a bullet on the lighter end with a big hollow.
No experience with the 444--- just looks good on paper-----
looks like some of the lighter bullets can get up near 2500 fps. Thats flatter than the "gov"......

My neighbor wanted to try it on a deer to see what happened. He uses 243 and 7mm mag. The 7 is a bit too much shoulder pain he said. Im going to try to load him some reduced recoil loads for it. Like a 140 gr @ 2600.
something with about 308 recoil. (instead of 300 win mag recoil)

does anyone have feedback/experience with the 444 now that they brought back the marlin in that caliber. A lot flatter shooting than the 45-70----- but still a respectable freight train.
Depends on which bullets you buy / reload. 444 and 45-70 are not that different at the higher pressure end of things. If you bu "oldschool" 45-70s then the 444 beats them by a lot. But if you have a newer Marlin or Winhester/Browning, and get something like a Buffalo Bore hotter load, good to go.

on top. (mine group about 3/4 inch where as the winchester factory loadsare like 12 inches at 100 -- ***)

I should knock down pretty much anything. Just get your dope at 200 it is going to drop substantially.

It should be fine; know your drop at 200Y and adjust/compensate accordingly. Shot placement is the key.

On the topics of straight walls, 1600 fps, lever guns & shot placement:
I just shot a doe whitey at 100 yds with a henry lever 41. 210 sierra at 1600. Two shots through the heart, aiming at mid-shoulder. Had just confirmed zero yesterday before the hunting started. Dunno why i missed low twice. Both shots went through heart, exiting an inch or so apart. She ran 120 yds after the second hit, bleeding all the way. If i had been shooting meat saver, id probably have my dog out there tracking still. Instead she is skinned and hanging, i have eaten and am about to take a nap before the afternoon hunt.
Shot placement matters, even when using enough gun.