How much practice did you require

I love to shoot and use all my guns at any range possible I fell it gives as me greater perspective for shooting over all. I have made a resolution this year to shoot 200 rounds a month with any of my guns. Sometimes the hard trigger only. 22lr trains me for trigger control and my 12 gauge switching targets at close range for speed and accuracy teaches my recoil management. Point I am making we don't have to wait on those few trips to the long range to get down prone and learn. Use what opportunities you have and focus on those skills getting the most out of them. Try 22lr. around 100 to 200 yards in stiff winds it really helps with wind calls. Also try a 5x5 drill with 22lr. 5 shots standing, 5 kneeling, 5 sitting, 5 prone and 5 switching targets do all 5 times total on 10 diferent targets at 100 yards and keep under 5 minutes each round. Keep each group to its self such as all prone on one target for a total of 25 shots. This is for self evaluation for your weak areas. Great practice for hunting and maybe PRS but I have never shot PRS to know.

Lance said it well.
For myself I shoot 1200rounds or more a year. Last summer I was sending 12-30 rounds a night practicing.
When you're shooting at whatever range and not getting the poi and/or group size you want then you start diagnosing the issues causing it.
Loads are a good starting place to improve but also your shooting form and fundamentals.
The man gave away the secret... Shoot a little, OFTEN. Don't tell anyone else. There won't be any animals left to hunt!!

I would recommend starting at 100 yards and shooting in the same position all the way out to 600.

Paper is the best way to evaluate what is happening by comparing the MOA at each distance. this will also give you the drop tables for each distance. Armed with the true Ballistic coefficient of your bullet when you go beyond 600 yards, it will help with your turret adjustments.

If you keep good records of your groups, it will also help find any deficiencies with your loads or your progress as a shooter. make notes of conditions and what your adjustments were to compensate for them.

When I started, I bought a match book for keeping records of all things on that day. After a few years, i could refer back to those like days and the shouting solution's became easier. Something like this. http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx?p=ItemDetailOptions&item=JOHP3

Don't worry what others are doing or saying, just compete against yourself and you will improve.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.