How much of the neck to size?

[ QUOTE ]
3. Neck size 3/4 of the neck and leave the remaining 1/4 of the neck to center that portion of the neck in the chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]Do necks so sized center in the chamber neck because the back 1/4th of the neck is at exactly the same diameter as the chamber neck?

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to tame chaos, you need to have Kirby make you a die with the same reamer that he used to make your chamber.

[/ QUOTE ]How does a case sizing die reduce any diameter of a fired case from a chamber cut with the same reamer as the sizing die?

Seems to me that because the inside diameters of the chamber and die are the same, there's no way such a die can make the fired case smaller at any point.

Bart B,

I think he may be referring to rechambering a Redding Comp Bushing neck sizing die with the chambering reamer.

You are correct though, this will not size any of the case body, just hold it perfectly concentric while the case neck is sized.

Kirby Allen(50)

Well this may be a little of the subject but me and the midget, I meand BJ, jsut got back from shooting this evening.

he **** near beat my record at 400yds of .850" in a 3 shot group. His first 2 shot was just a 30 cal hole and as he went to fling the 3rd shot i felt the wind kick up. He was shooting from my truck bed and couldnt feel the gust. this kicked his shot about 1" to the right.

We didnt measure it but the group would have been around 1.5" at 400yds, if i complained about that I would have to kick my own @$$!!!!!!!!!

Kirby I think you may need to build me something like this gun so I can protect my range records!!!!

Oh, by the way Kirby, the pistol shootin went a lot better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

take it easy
steve

For heavens sake, Bart

I think there is chaos in my head.

You are correct, Making a die with the same reamer that cut the chamber would do nothing. The die must be a smaller diameter to resize anything.

See ya,
Vic

[ QUOTE ]
Making a die with the same reamer that cut the chamber would do nothing. The die must be a smaller diameter to resize anything.

[/ QUOTE ]Note that Kirby mentioned making one, but as long as the chamber reamer went just far enough into a die blank from its bottom that touches the shell holder such that it's wall diameters would be a few thousandths of an inch smaller than a fired case, its taper would sure match the chamber's taper and be close enough to fired case body tapers to hold a fired case perfectly for neck/shoulder sizing.

Bart, my guess would be if you only ran the reamer in far enough to size the cases down a few thousands diametrically,you'd be bumping the shoulder back a whole bunch more than most would want.

i like the forster full length with the neck opened to whatever you want.in my case, .003 less than the loaded round and position the die so it only bumps the shoulder 2-3 thousands.close but still loose in the chamber.one of the great ones once said for best accuracy they have to fit like a turd in a toilet bowl.or some kind a bowl!

Dave, I was thinking about the chamber reamer tapering only the body part of a sizing die; the shoulder and neck part of the reamer wouldn't touch anything. The bushing would fit in the area untouched by the reamer.

And it was a "punch bowl" that piece of excrement was said to fit in. Not that hollowed haven in Hawaii for Heaven's heroic habitants, nor a preponderance of pugilists pairing off to poke participants to some prize for pug-nosed people, but a dazzling deep dish doused with drinkable delights mixed delicately delectable with a dung dollop dropped in.

i got cha, bushing die...i had a one piece die on the brain.

punch bowl was it? that would be a little too loose for me. i like the turd in a toilet bowl fit myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
punch bowl was it? that would be a little too loose for me. i like the turd in a toilet bowl fit myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Dave, you need a round thing to put the case in. Punch bowls are quite round; toilet bowls are not very round. Well, maybe a toilet bowl's irregular shape would better match that elongated example of extruded excrement!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.