How much does rifle weight affect/effect consistent shot making

Gamesniper19

I am interested in any empirical data available on overall rifle weight and the consistent ability to make range and field based shots at extreme distances >1000 yards. We all have examples of "that one time I made a 1000 yard shot with my ultra lightweight mountain rifle" or "that one time my 16 lb super magnum crushed a deer at 1000 yards".
My question is, what is the sweet spot for a long range hunting rifle? What weight and reliability should we expect and how do we gauge what that is in weight parameters?

My personal opinion.

A true "lightweight mountain rifle" should be under 8lbs scoped and fully ready to hunt. It should be chambered in a round capable of taking the game it is intended for out to 700-800 max. Deer/sheep something like a .260 Rem, for elk/bear, maybe .280AI, etc. Less recoil helps with making it a bit more forgiving on non-prone field position shots. Not that the rifle is any less accurate than a 15# rifle, just that it takes much more consistent shooter input and recoil management to maintain the rifle's ability to shoot to it's full potential. I do not have any sub-8# rifles myself, but I have shot plenty of them. Good example is a 7lb 1oz .300WM I have shot on numerous occasions. Prone with a good rest, I can shoot sub-1" groups at 200 yards, and hold half MOA out to 600. But off a bench, sitting, etc., accuracy that I can hold goes down. It is a great mountain elk rifle though.

A "longer range carry weight" hunting rifle should weigh between 9-12#. I have carried heavier, but not a lot of fun. You can step up in cartridge capacity with this weight. For deer/sheep/elk, you can easily go up to a magnum cartridge. 6.5 SS, 7RM, .300WM, 28 Nosler, etc. and still shoot very accurately. I have 4 rifles in this weight range. 6CM, 6.5SS, .280AI, 7RM. My .280AI actually weighs 8lb 13oz, but close enough. All of there rifles can shoot under 3" out to 900+ with good conditions.

A true "long range" rifle, again in my opinion, needs to step up again in case capacity and bullet diameter/weight. Long range to me is 800-1200+. Personally, I shoot steel and coyotes as far as I can see them. But I would never shoot at big game over 1200. Probably over 1000 actually. Something like .300WM, 28 Nosler, .300RUM, .300NM, .338 RUM/Edge, etc. pushing heavy for caliber bullets. 7mm 180-197, .308 200-230+, .338 250-300.
Rifle weight on my personal long range rifles are 15#+. I have two in this range. One for elk, one more for coyotes/antelope/maybe up to deer out to 1000, and a lot of 1000-1500+ practice time on steel. A .300RUM pushing a 230 Hybrid @ 3068fps, and a 6.5SLR pushing a 140 HVLD @ 2930. The heavy rifles are much easier to shoot well.

I find rifles tend to, with optics, end up in the 8, 10, 12, and 14 lb range ready to hunt, I've built multiple 338 RUMs, 300 mags and bigger 7s like the Nosler in every weight class. I saw no accuracy difference when ran for three shot for hunting purpouse, I hate running more than that in anything but a smaller case comp gun.
I've not found it all that hard to be under 1/2 moa at 1000, and most will shoot at the 4 inch mark, the lightest two builds shot smaller but you can tell that you could not go much beyond three rounds without something suffering.

I don't think there is any doubt that the lighter builds are far more effected by the shooter, and tracking through recoil is harder to maintain, you have to reset every shot. On the 14lb side you can start to just let the rifle sit there, our influences are dampened, tracking is just there.

Personally if all the builds I've done I'm settling in on 10 lbs ready to hunt being the perfect 0-1400 yard hunting gun, don't need titanium any where, only carbon is in the stock, you can run average trigger weight and they sit and track with just a little attention to details, yet you can use them just as effectively in multiple positions and be effective for a given range.

Last edited:
The data will be interesting to see.
My experience is that any rifle weight above the lightweight platforms, roughly +6lb, should shoot with the same accuracy, given that you manage the recoil effectively. The gamechanger I've found to shoot 338WM and all my magnums, out of a 6.4lb Tikka or other, accurately, precisely and consistently, are the Limbsaver pads. No muzzle brake needed.

I think the formula is more to do with a good bipod and good, repeatable form.

Kenyon is probably on to something with the rifle weights, and I likely try to compensate for a lighter "True Long Range" gun by having a more repeatable technique, malleable platform, and good supporting equipment. Oh, and time. Gotta have time to shoot.

My rifles for LR Hunting run from 10.5# to 14#, with weight increasing with the size/energy of the cartridge(6.5-.300). While a lighter sporter weight barrel can be mastered to deliver 1st shot accuracy, IMO, it requires more attention to form. Additional weight can provide "forgiveness and added stability", maximizing accuracy with the variables encountered when hunting at long range. From an empirical standpoint, upon recoil, the barrel will move as much as a quarter of an inch before the bullet leaves the barrel. Lighter barrels tend to flip more then heavy barrels requiring much more skill and attention in controlling the rifle, particularly when changing shooting positions(prone, sitting, etc). I have to be very conscious of my form to keep my light rifle field accuracy at 1 MOA. Under comparable condition, sub.5MOA accuracy with my heavier LR rifles is a thoughtless exercise.....and well worth the added weight(just had to cut down on the linguine). A few side benefits of easier spotting of hits, and reduced barrel heat generation are very welcomed.

I find minor things like heart beat to show up in rifles under 12 lbs. Particularly in a hunting situation.

Maybe a formula like 100y per pound of rifle.

Great suggestion - layering onto it.
What poundage do we start in the formula...we can't start with a 2lb rifle at 200 yards?

Lol. I was waiting for that. It literally was a thought that popped in my head as I was posting. I'm kind of a formula guy and it made sense.

I guess if you can get a rifledown to 5 lbs scoped and hunt ready you are limited to 500y. Hahaha. I think there is some flaws in my formula!

Lol. I was waiting for that. It literally was a thought that popped in my head as I was posting. I'm kind of a formula guy and it made sense.

I guess if you can get a rifledown to 5 lbs scoped and hunt ready you are limited to 500y. Hahaha. I think there is some flaws in my formula!

No way! I think you are onto something.
There could be a way we start with a baseline average. What if we did this:

• Average stock rifle weigh with no glass = 6 lbs
  • Max Stock range for most off the shelf rifles is about 500-600 yards with factory ammunition
  • Therefore - every 100 yards over that we can add a pound?
10lb rifle seems like a good weight for a 1000 yard rifle. Steady enough to be a stable platform and light enough to carry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.