How much cool down time?

Living in S. Az prompted me to come up with a way to get the barrel back to ambient temperature without any waiting. I see the other guys using wet towels or small air pumps which work but take time. I use a 20 lb CO@ tank (smaller tanks won't work) and a simple ball cock valve with a rubber hose connected to valve. The end of the hose is tapered so it will fit snugly into the end of the chamber. The warm barrel can be cooled to ambient temperature in about 20 seconds. There are four of us who use this system and none of us have had any issues.

Cooling a barrel that fast makes me nervous. No, I don't think it's going to blow up from doing that. I just think that it can't be good for the barrel to repetitively experience that rapid of a temperature change. I can see it building up a lot of internal stress over time that may make it slowly shoot worse and worse.

I think the opposite. It would give the metal a chance to relieve all stress. From you post I get the impression we are a couple of metal ignorant individuals. But it's fun to speculate.

I did have a materials class in my lower division college classes. What I remember is scant, but generally steel &, some stainless steels get brittle when cooled fast. We're not starting from anything near a transition temperature where the risk of rapid cooling from there would be disastrous, but it still concerns me.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.