How Many People Hunt Varmints With A M1A

J E Custom

I have noticed a lot of people varmint hunt with AR 15s and was just wondering
if anyone was using an M1A for this type of hunting.

Where I'm from we also see a lot of hogs and I like to be prepaired for anything
so the 308 will cover anything that shows.

I carry one mag with 20 rounds of ball ammo( Full metal jacket ) and one with
M852 Match ammo because they are easy to switch if I need to. the FMJs work good
on hogs if you wait for them to line up and can make a 2 or 3 hog kill with one shot.

Just wondering .
J E CUSTOM

I cant believe I'm the only one that hunts with an M1a (M14) but I consider hogs
varmints and have tried the 223 and it works fine on the first shot but when
that first shot goes off things get wild.

20 rounds of 308 can level the playing field when a bunch of hogs show up.

The most hogs I have killed after the first shot was 5 (Total of 7) from one bunch.

My younger brother has topped my numbers so now we have a contest to see how
many we can kill with one shot. and he will probably cheat and use his 416 with solids.

At least that's what I think he's up to.

Where we hunt the Coyotes have gotten smart and won't come in and seem to hold
up at 300+ yrds so the 308 works well and the M1a does well when chasing them all
over the place, some times you can turn them by hitting in front of them and kicking
up dirt and rocks.With 700 to 800yrds of hunting it can become a rodeo.

Cats arent very smart and they come right up to the call or caller so even the little 17 hmr
will work well for them.

I even had a brain fart and thought about using tracers where there is no chance
of starting a fire.( Must have been something I ate ).

Any way just though I would see if anyone was having as much fun as I am with this rig.
J E CUSTOM

You're right about the AR-15 as I use that pretty much exclusively unless I just want to blood a new toy. Never got into the M1, M1A's much, although I've accurized a few of them for guys, both military and civilian. For my purpose they don't fit the bill of a small compact calling rifle, but I see your point of needing something larger for the hogs. I built a 6.5 Grendel AR with 20" lightweight barrel that I would probably use in that circumstance. The 120gr BT would work pretty well, especially since they shoot sub MOA (closer to 1/2 MOA really).

I have been planing on using my Armscorp NM M1A for deer hunting but I have not had the chance yet.

I have it all set up with a Horus Vision scope and Sadlak ind mount. It is bedded in to a USGI walnut stock and the trigger has been tuned to around 3 1/2 pounds. The week point is the GI barrel but I want to shoot it out before replacing. I did a little work on a handload for it but did not realy end up with anything difinitive as of yet.

ICAN, if you can find some M 852, your rifle will shoot it to 1 moa or better. If you can't find it, try 41.5 grs 4064, 168gr Smkhp and a 210M primer. I've used LC match brass and Federal brass with no measurable advantage for either. Some rifles slightly prefer 42grs 4895, which I think duplicates the M852 round in LC match brass except for the primer. I don't know whose primer LC used, but it is brass colored, not nickeled like the Federal. Maybe Remington 9 1/2's?

I got my old heavy barrel match gun out and put a ARMS steel mount and a 3 x 9 Seals scope on it to try. Follow-up shots won't be as fast as the AR, but the 168gr MK will make anything leak a lot worse. A 10 rd mag makes the rifle handle better, it doesn't hang up on stuff like the 20 rounder will, (coat sleeves, window frames, handlebar racks, brake cables, etc).

I probably ought to post on Hog Hunting, but since JE started this thread here, I decided to reply.

Good hunting, Tom

SPECWELDTOM

I have everything you mentoned except the 210 primers I have been using the CCI#34 military 7.62 primer, LC brass, 41.5g of R15 and 168g AMAX seeted to just under mag length.

I tried some 175g SMK's with IMR 4064 but got a tight group with the AMAX and the barrel just wipes out so easy.

The rifle will shoot ball ammo like a pool shark I can hit the 700 yard going 20 for 20 from the prone wraped into my sling with irons.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.