How many days to do a hunt justice?

Timing is everything. Show up for the last 5 days of the hunt and your buddies may have some ideas on where to start hunting (if they haven't already cleaned up the area). Show up the first 5 days and you are on your own to find em and get the job done as well. Remember, unless you have horses to pack you need to allow time to get your game out of the woods which can be at least a days task by itself....
Good Luck, rugged country you are headed into get in top shape......

16 hours is a days drive for one.Two makes it much easier. Check with local ride share boards and see if anyone needs a lift to Jackson or parts in between -- gas money and driving.
You don't say what you're driving, but if you guys have the money, you may want to consider flying into Billings or Salt Lake, rent and drive the last four hours to your entry point.
Once you are on BLM roads, you can burn up hours just to get to where you pack in.
Bring GMRS radios.
Average elevation where you'll be is 5500 to 6500. You'll feel it,, even as a young buck.
To get into shape for it, run the fire stairs at the tallest building you can find near you.

Send it...Go.....Colorado hunt is only 5 days or so and yes the altitude will kick you *** if you are coming from somewhere closer to sea-level. I am from Louisiana.
I would just advise you to plan and stay with you group/team until they finish the hunt. They will bust their *** to help you drag an animal to the truck be sure to be there for them when they need the help.

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

Thanks for any input and advice!
I have done it a few times successfully....
IT IS HELL.....
Not a vacation but a challenge....
OMHO....Good Luck
bill

Go for it!!!! Don't look back......Opportunity doesn't knock on your door every day.

A friend invited me to go with them on a backpack hunt in SW Montana in 2022. They have done this hunt a few times in the past and usually set aside 10 days away from home. I would love to go, but between my job and young kids there's no way that I could be gone that long.

We have a 15 hour drive to get to the area we would be hunting. My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb, my brother and I could drive through the night to save a couple days on either side of the trip. Would it still be worth making the trip if we only had 5 full hunting days to try and kill an elk?

"My thoughts are that since we are young and dumb"...... If you're already recognizing 2 of the MANY things that get hunters in trouble- I'd say you're ahead of the game.
You have a year to prepare for the challenge ahead of you and like another mentioned- the altitude sickness thing is a huge consideration for us Texas boys. Going from 3,600' here in the Amarillo area to 8,800- 9,500' in the area where I last hunted elk- I was grateful for friends who could watch me and help mitigate the effects so that my hunt wasn't ruined by a hospital trip.
Prep your body AND mind for the challenge but don't pass up the opportunity to "stop and smell the roses" as it were. Luck to you and your brother!

Here's my perspective: I also have kids and a job and thankfully a very understanding wife. The hunt you speak of is a year and a half away. At that time your kids will be that much older and that much more independent. 10 days is a Friday-Sunday trip, really just one full week. Depending on your job you probably already get 4 of those 10 days off! Yes, you could still make the most of a shorter trip, but as many here have pointed out you will have a "rushed" feeling about it and not get to slow down and enjoy it as much...which is a big part of why you are going anyways! Also keep in mind you are backpack hunting for elk with 2 tags. If you factor in the time needed to backpack elk out it greatly cuts into your hunting window! My vote is for you to find a way to get the whole 10 days in. you have 1.5 years to plan it out! Happy hunting and good luck!

I have been doing at least one 14 or 15 hour drive for hunting every year for the last 30. Driving is mind numbing drudgery but that's what it takes and the alternative is staying home and regretting. Is five days hunting worth it? One day is worth it if it's the right day. One exciting day in beautiful hunting country, full of smells and sounds that will stick with you forever, is worth it all - and if you get five chances to have that day you are blessed. Teach yourself to enjoy the whole experience and that question becomes much easier to answer. Good memories last forever.

Last edited:
Depends on the kind of terrain, if its early season elk in CO, even if you're in tip top mtn shape, 5 days of bombing up and down the hills all day will do in most folks and you can usually find aninals and get an opportunity in that period of time if youre an experienced hunter. I like 2 days of scouting before season up in the country im hunting before opening day as well. I weekend warrior hunt plenty and while Ive been successful, 2 mornings and evenings rarely does justice to a hunt.

Be aware , using electronic communication to actually locate and/or take an elk is illegal in Montana. You can use them to coordinate recovery of an animal or for general use. Of course it's a crime only if you get caught and a lot of people don't get caught, but I figure that it's best to make people aware of the law.

GMRS radios are line of sight radios meaning that if anything is between you and the other guy, along your line of sight, then the radio won't work. They work great on mountain tops and sometimes you can get a bounce off of obstacles that let communicate in places where the radio wouldn't work normally.

The biggest issue is altitude and how or if it will kick your butt. There is no rhyme or reason to who or when it will hit. Even young and full of vinegar you need to be fully aware of altitude sickness especially in run and gun mode. Lots of threads on it here but just want you to be aware of it, know the symptoms and don't mess around with it. It can kill a 21 year old as fast as a 50 year old. You will have no altitude acclimation time which can be really tough hump to get over and be ready and prepared for it. I am not being a Debbie Downer but just a experienced old guy that has been at altitude even when I was 40 and really good shape. Be aware of it, be prepared for it, make the right decisions and ACTIONS to mitigate at lower altitude IF it surfaces and just accept it. I have had to get 2 pals that had to go down FAST over the years from it and it was real close on one of them for serious concerns. He could hardly stay in saddle on way down mountain and was rushed to local clinic for treatment.

Average body takes 2-3 days to acclimate FULLY over 8K no matter of age. How good of shape will determine IF the acclimation process kicks butt or you can get through fine. You are a flat lander in TX so be very much aware of this potential when you hunt.

20 years ago I added 3 days to front end of my hunts at altitude so I could start the hunt good to go. It was extremely tough with family and kids, I know but you are spending a lot of effort, money and time into a hunt so sometimes you have to do the best you can. Really tough to balance life with these types of hunts. Wish you lots of luck!

This is nice page on altitude as a reference.
Guide to Altitude
You are right on with your altitude adjustment time frame. I have lived in SW Montana for 43 years and have done numerous high country back pack hunts. Including a number of Mountain Goat hunts where we camped from 8500 to 9500 ft elevation. Then climbing up to 10,600 to get to the goats. I usually don't sleep for the first two nights, it takes about three days to get your legs back under you and your lungs to adjust.

Brandon---absolutely get after it! Life's short, hunt hard!

My whole point was to inform and if that is all the time you have go with the best intel, preparation, gear and knowledge. The totality of the hunt scenery, camaraderie, friendships will hook you forever! Bring a good compact camera to capture the best scenery in the world.! Memories of a lifetime! The planning is also big part of the hunt enjoyment. Search LRH for threads on prep, lots of good info!

Jealous as all get out! Keep us in loop to enjoy your experience as well!

Go get that bull! But realize the total hunt is the real success!