How many bullets do you try in new rifle?

I have 26 different brands weights and types of 30cal bullets and 22 different brands weights and styles of 26cal bullets. Only 3 different 30cal cartridges, but have 5 different 26cal cartridges. Most are AR's with the exceptions of la mags (only 2 cartridges). Barrel lengths from 8.5-32" and each cartridge has its weight range and specified max distance it's designed for. Plenty of different powders to test (many are unobtanium these days).

Some rifles are for just plain fun. For those, I'll try all kind of bullets, looking for value.
Some rifles are for serious business. For those, I will do my research, see what people have had success with bullet/powder combination. Pick two and go to work. If not successfull, try two different ones. I have been usually lucky this way. Am I getting the best results? Probably not. Meet's my goals.
My new process, once it cools down, will change, to incorporate modelling. I don't care if I get backlash on this one.
I fall into the it's just plain fun category. I credit a lot of this to finally shooting suppressed. My stamina at the range has more than doubled since going this route. I go shooting to see what I just cooked up in the basement. It never hurts to get a little trigger time.

And I thought my shooting range should be closer to the house. I should've put my bench "on" the back porch….. it'd almost 50 yards away! 🙀 memtb
My shooting bench is on my back porch all of three steps away from my reloading bench. I can shoot out to 200 from there. A two minute drive to the back side of the place let's me shoot out to a mile.

I have 26 different brands weights and types of 30cal bullets and 22 different brands weights and styles of 26cal bullets. Only 3 different 30cal cartridges, but have 5 different 26cal cartridges. Most are AR's with the exceptions of la mags (only 2 cartridges). Barrel lengths from 8.5-32" and each cartridge has its weight range and specified max distance it's designed for. Plenty of different powders to test (many are unobtanium these days).
Will you adopt me? I come with many hard to get primers! 🤣

All of my rifles/handguns have a given purpose and I usually test a good sample of bullets made for that purpose. For example, if it is a hunting rig that I don't plan on shooting past 500 yards that will be used on thin-skinned game, I determine what weight range I want and what speed I want and then get 5-10 different bullets that fit the bill and 3-5 powders. I work up loads and see what provides me the best in velocity and accuracy, combined. Then I purchase enough of a supply of those bullets and powders to pretty much last me 10-20 years of practice and hunting.
For target work, I am a bit less picky and will usually only test 3-5 bullets and 3-5 powders to find my loads, but tend to buy a larger bulk when I do find the combo that works.

The advantage of doing it this way is that if one or more of the components become scarce, I can usually look back at my testing data and find a combo that will work to get me over the hump.

As for where I shoot, my current short yardage range is about 20 minutes from the house, but I can get out to 1000 on our property that is about 7 hours away.

I fall into the it's just plain fun category. I credit a lot of this to finally shooting suppressed. My stamina at the range has more than doubled since going this route. I go shooting to see what I just cooked up in the basement. It never hurts to get a little trigger time.

That 280AI you built is very nice. I suggest getting another barrel ready and keep at it.

All of my rifles/handguns have a given purpose and I usually test a good sample of bullets made for that purpose. For example, if it is a hunting rig that I don't plan on shooting past 500 yards that will be used on thin-skinned game, I determine what weight range I want and what speed I want and then get 5-10 different bullets that fit the bill and 3-5 powders. I work up loads and see what provides me the best in velocity and accuracy, combined. Then I purchase enough of a supply of those bullets and powders to pretty much last me 10-20 years of practice and hunting.
For target work, I am a bit less picky and will usually only test 3-5 bullets and 3-5 powders to find my loads, but tend to buy a larger bulk when I do find the combo that works.

The advantage of doing it this way is that if one or more of the components become scarce, I can usually look back at my testing data and find a combo that will work to get me over the hump.

As for where I shoot, my current short yardage range is about 20 minutes from the house, but I can get out to 1000 on our property that is about 7 hours away.
Impressive

That 280AI you built is very nice. I suggest getting another barrel ready and keep at it.
Actually, I was thinking about this. I always seem to learn a few things after I go through the process. The good thing about a custom is you can readily make changes as long as you can afford it.

That's nice and close. Mines at the front of the driveway. About a 200 yard commute. 😩Worse yet my buddies 900 yard range is all of a mile and a half from my front door. We're pretty lucky.

I can shoot waaaaaaay beyond my capabilities from my bench……but, and there's always the but 😁, I have to cross the river with my targets and set up on the opposite side's ridges! 🤔 memtb

Recent Posts