How long is H1000 good for.

If stored properly powders can last decades. I had some IMR 4350 go bad on me this year. I had it for at least 35 years and it wasn't always stored in a climate controlled area.

Last year I discovered, much to my chagrin, that a can about 1/2 full of IMR 4227 had gone bad. The powder was bought and partially used in the early '80's when I lived in Louisiana, relocated it to Wyoming in 1985.

The powder spent the first 20 years in "anything but" a controlled environment! With starting it's life opened and partially used in Louisiana humidity in a metal can, to spending several years in an outdoor "non- controlled" environment, to spending the next 20 years or so in our basement (another non-controlled environment)…….it's life was doomed from the start! 😂 memtb

Mine exhibited "orange dust". I've never had that happen before. I didn't notice a bad smell, however I'm not willing to test it in my firearms.
That's what the dust from the 4007 lid looked like, reddish, orange dust. Every thing else was headed that way also. Except there was no lid. Just a pile of dust.

That's what the dust from the 4007 lid looked like, reddish, orange dust. Every thing else was headed that way also. Except there was no lid. Just a pile of dust.
I read a long time ago that the orange dust and an acrid smell was the sign of powder going bad. I see no need to use my firearms as a sample to test these claims lol.