How Does the 300 Win and 30 Nos. Compare

Broz

Len was gracious enough to rush me off a couple new unfired 30 Nosler cases. So as promised I did some bench comparisons of the two. I took rough measurements of both the 300 Win Mag and the 30 Nosler with the very popular 215 Berger hybrid. Both cases were new unfired. For the 300 win the only new case I had was a Lapua head stamp. But this was good because I have found that the case capacity of the Lapua to be very close to WW and RP and some others. Cases were filled with a 6" drop tube to the bottom of the neck. This is the usable volume for powder. I use two powders, H-1000 and RL 33. Then also H2O. CAUTION:!!!! These are not charge weights!!! They are max case volume. Loads to these weights will surely be way over pressure!! consult a loading manual for starting charges and work up safely.!!!

So Here we go:

Weights:

300 Win Dry case w/ primer = 221.7 gr
30 Nos. Dry case w/ primer = 287.2 gr

300 Win with H2O = 85.7 gr
30 Nos. with H2O = 87.5 gr 1.8 gr advantage

300 win with H-1000 = 87.5 gr capacity
30 Nos. with H-1000 = 91.4 gr capacity with a 3.9 gr advantage

300 win with RL-33 = 90 gr. capacity
30 Nos. with RL-33 = 93.5 gr. capacity with a 3.5 gr advantage

Measurements:

300 win case OAL = 2.606"
30 Nos. case OAL = 2.544"

300 Win at Web = .506"
30 Nos. at Web = .544"

300 Win Case head to bottom of shoulder = 2.202"
30 Nos. Case head to bottom of shoulder = 2.112"

300 Win. at shoulder .488"
30 Nos. at shoulder .525"

300 win Neck length = .252"
30 Nos. Neck Length = .293"

With a 215 Berger seated with bottom of bullet bearing surface at bottom of case neck.

300 Win OAL (case head to bullet tip) = 3.690"
30 Nos OAL (case head to bullet tip) = 3.595"

300 Win case head to bullet O-give with comparator = 2.730"
30 Nos. case head to bullet O=give with comparator = 2.635"

These are rough measurements on unfired untouched brass.

In conclusion here are my thoughts.
Case usable capacity with powder goes to the 30 Nosler with about 3.7 gr. What that will actually mean as far as muzzle velocity remains to be seen. Powder burn rate and barrel length will come into play here. Brass quality and hardness will shadow true results as well.

30 Nosler may be an advantage for some with a shorter mag box length by .095" However I have not had issues in a long action loading to the lands with a 300 win with these bullets.

I plan to further research the quality and hardness of the available brass for the 30 Nosler. I know some very tough brass is available for the 300 win. Like Bertram and RWS. This could easily level the field for velocity and could allow the 300 win to excel. But that needs to be proven.

My gut tells me with a 28" barrel they both will come in in the 3000 to 3050 fps range at 4000' asl. But I would hope with good strong brass and the correct powder the 30 Nos. might see 3075 to 3100. Maybe?

Belts do not bother me in the least. But if you are one that does not like belted cases the 30 Nos. get the nod here.

The shorter neck of the 300 win has never been an issue either, but if you prefer a longer neck the 30 Nos. offers .041" more neck to bearing surface length.

Factory ammo: 300 Win will get the nod here today. There are some darn good factory offerings and many of them. also easier to locate for sure.

Decisions Decisions. I am at a loss as to what I will do for a Currect build.

More testing is certainly in order.

Hope this helps some that want to compare these two great choices for a 30 cal.

Jeff

300 Win on our Left, 30 Nos. on our Right. Both with 215 seated bearing surface to bottom of case neck.

IMG_20161209_142232498_HDR_zpszwvtv8wx.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Broz, if you are doing a new 30 build, are you apposed to a wildcat?
Steve

Probably, I don't see a need to go any further with case volume for a mid sized magnum. I really like the kinda life we get from the 300 win mags. I havent worn one out yet. The days of 800 rounds from a 300 RUM tube are still vivid in my mind.

Hey Jeff!!! I tried to pm you and your messages are full.
I figure that might be design..:D:D

Sorry, I do have problems keeping up at times. Sometimes its better to post questions and answers where we all can read for further reference.:)

Jeff

Sorry, I do have problems keeping up at times. Sometimes its better to post questions and answers where we all can read for further reference.:)

Jeff
I figure you just got tired of all the questions, so you leave it full!!:)
My question is about another matter concerning HBN, I didn't want to high jack this thread...

So, in your experience, Betram brass is good stuff? Better than Nosler?

Thanks,

Paul

I only have experience wit Bertram in the 338 Edge and 300 win mag. It has a lower case capacity like RWS, but is good brass and tough as nails. My experience with Nosler in very limited. But my impression is it will be soft like Norma. Maybe someone else can offer a better opinion on Nosler brass.

Jeff

Last edited:
Maybe a possible candidate: 30/338 Lapua Improved 40* Maybe 3000fps (Lapua brass) with the 230 Berger? Good long neck might reduce throat erosion and provide good case life, especially using Lapua brass. Just a thought.

Maybe a possible candidate: 30/338 Lapua Improved 40* Maybe 3000fps (Lapua brass) with the 230 Berger? Good long neck might reduce throat erosion and provide good case life, especially using Lapua brass. Just a thought.

Been there with a 30 Lapua. Great with the heavies but thats what I have a good 338 for.

Think I stick with the longer barrel life club for this one.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.