How do you rate Nosler brass?

ShootnMathews

I need to pick up some more 243 and 6.5-284 brass. And maybe some 7mm-08. Have any of you used those sizes of the Nosler custom brass? Is it any good or should I just save the money for Lapua? Is the Nosler better than say Winchester or Remington brass?

Lapua & Nosler are the 2 best brands of brass in the industry. You can't go wrong with either one.

And to answer your question, I also use Nosler in my 7mm-08. Great brass.

I use Lapua for .308 Win, and Nosler for just about everything else.

I don't like it. It's soft and primer pockets opened early.
I have heard all the rumours of who makes it, my lot was one of the first runs of 300WinMag, I was so disappointed with it, I sectioned a piece, along with every other brand I had on hand. It matched perfectly, in both weight, capacity and internal shape as Federal brass, not even close to Norma brass.
Now, today this may be different, it is rumoured to be made by Norma, I can't confirm this, I will not spend another cent on Nosler brass to ascertain who makes it.
I do use Norma brass in cals that Lapua don't make, it's very good brass if you don't abuse it with hot loads.

Cheers.
gun)

I use nosler brass in my 243, i haven't had a problem with them yet. I sort them anyways and then I anneal them too. BUT like MagnumManiac I try to buy lupua any chance I get but like my 300 win mag I can't find in lupua I will have to use nosler.

I am not a big fan of it. I have a bunch in 308 and 25-06. It is nice to just open the box and reload, but as MagnumManiac stated, it is soft, and my primer pockets seemed to loosen up prematurely.

As I understand it Nosler brass is made by Norma they make weatherby brass as well. I think Norma is probably one of the largest brass cartridge case manufacturers in the world they definitely make the most caliber wise.

I have had issues with Nosler brass it is good quality though it always seems short to me I had some that was as much as .012 short of case trim length.

Lapua is still number one but Norma/Nosler/Weatherby are all right behind them. Lapua makes 243 win brass I would get some of theirs and try it. I have some Lapua brass in 260 rem that is on its 12th firing. Can't be much different than 243 win.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.