How do you feel about Pac-Nor

drewman

I'm looking at Pac-Nor barrels. A few guys said they were pretty good, but everyone has an opinion like eveyone has a @@#$%%^&. So, I'm looking for any pros and cons.

I'm also thinking of them chambering and fitting to the action. What do you all think?

It seems to be thier bore diameters vary more than the cut barrels. Thier exterior finish is nice and finishes up quickly. I still got sub 1/2" accuracy for the three I used and that is about as good as I expect from a ruger #1 in 300RUM with nosler BT's.

There are some very high quality barrel makers out there and there are some very high quality gunsmiths out there. If it was me (and a year ago it was me)I would send an email to Kirby or Shawn and have a person who understand precision long range guns build it. Some of it depends on what kind of gun you want to build. I would also use what ever barrel they recommend.

Pac Nor has done a great job with the rifles that I have sent to them in as far as chambering and trueing the action. Pac Nor also has a revolutionary type of rifling system that is far advanced over most barrel makers, a best friend of mine invented the buttons for them. They also have a system of measuring the uniformity of the twist rate that is in the barrel. If/when the button skips or digs in when it is cutting the rifling, the vibrations will be changed due to the twist rate change. Pac Nor and Anchutz are the only companies that have a system like this, they can actually plot the twist rate of a barrel every 0.200 of an inch. Pac Nor uses a very special kind of steel unlike Hart, Douglas, and Lilja and others. The Steel that Pac Nor uses is tough.

Having said all of the above, I have never had a bad Hart or Lilja barrel, and I have had a bunch of Harts for sure.

One thing that I have noticed is that the three groove barrel seems to produce about 100 more feet per second over a 6 groove barrel. I seem to be able to shoot hotter loads in the 3 groove barrels, and I can only guess that the engraving pressure on the bullet is less in the 3 groove, but that is only a WAG at best.

Pac Nor has about 2000 reamers on hand. If you send them a round seated at a particular length, they will throat the barrel for that length of seating depth at no extra charge.

If you have a particular long range rifle that you are wanting, it is good to deal with a particular gunsmith that specializes in that type of thing, it is worth gold in the long run.

There should be no doubt that Kirby (50 Driver) on this board should be one of your more trusted gunsmiths both in his knowledge of a long range cartridges and his machinist abilities.

Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Pac Nor uses a very special kind of steel unlike Hart, Douglas, and Lilja and others. The Steel that Pac Nor uses is tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

the pac nor i have is far from being tough. it has a rc hardness of 23 which is real soft for a barrel. when questioniong pac nor about this the first guy i talked to said that was not good that they like them to be 28 before they leave the shop, then a few hours later i get a call from casey and he tells me the tolerance that they have is 28+/- 5; which all of a sudden makes my barrel good again. the barrel machined like crap(like machining cast iron) from the begining, thats why we had the rc tested. I also called several other barrel makers and asked them what there RC toleranes were and all of them said no less than 28 with a few preffering 32.

that was the last barrel i will buy from pac nor. They would not accept responsabilities for there mistake and i have a soft barrel and a lesson learned from it

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.