how do i fix a cracked stock??

radnur22

i just bought a used remington 700 KS fiberglass/graphite stock for my remington 7mm ultra mag. upon further inspection, i noticed a crack forward of the magazine well going toward the recoil lug area, but not quite to the recoil lug. the seller refuses to refund my $$. so i'm stuck with a cracked stock. is it possible to fix the crack? should i use a hacksaw to enlarge the crack, fill it with epoxy and add a reinforcing screw?

exs

That crack is in the worst posible spot, as you probably have already figured out. Especially for a hard kicker. If it was mine I would hog out as much material as I could and rebuild the entire area, including the recoil lug, with an epoxy like Steel Bed or some such. A cross screw or bolt would add some strength but could ruin the looks of the stock and may not be needed. Good luck.

apparently, after deep thought, the seller decided to give me a refund. i will be ordering a Bell & Carlson medalist tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.