how do i fix a cracked stock??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by radnur22, Nov 21, 2004.

1. radnur22

radnur22 Well-Known Member

i just bought a used remington 700 KS fiberglass/graphite stock for my remington 7mm ultra mag. upon further inspection, i noticed a crack forward of the magazine well going toward the recoil lug area, but not quite to the recoil lug. the seller refuses to refund my $$. so i'm stuck with a cracked stock. is it possible to fix the crack? should i use a hacksaw to enlarge the crack, fill it with epoxy and add a reinforcing screw?

2. Ray Meketa

Ray Meketa Well-Known Member

exs

That crack is in the worst posible spot, as you probably have already figured out. Especially for a hard kicker. If it was mine I would hog out as much material as I could and rebuild the entire area, including the recoil lug, with an epoxy like Steel Bed or some such. A cross screw or bolt would add some strength but could ruin the looks of the stock and may not be needed. Good luck.

3. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Sorry about the crack and lack of refund. I'm not sure they can be reliably fixed. Where did you get it so I don't do any business with them.

4. radnur22

radnur22 Well-Known Member

apparently, after deep thought, the seller decided to give me a refund. i will be ordering a Bell & Carlson medalist tomorrow.