Hotel Charges

Southpaw

Next time you think your hotel bill is too high, you might want to consider this:

My wife and I are traveling by car from Victoria to Prince George. After almost eleven hours on the road, we were too tired to continue, and decide to take a room. But, we only planned to sleep for four hours and then get back on the road. When we checked out four hours later, the desk clerk hands us a bill for $350.00.

I explode and demand to know why the charge is so high. I tell the clerk although it's a nice hotel; the rooms certainly aren't worth $350.00 Then the clerk tells me that $350.00 is the 'standard rate'. I insisted on speaking to the Manager.

The Manager appears, listens to me, and then explains that the hotel has an Olympic-sized pool and a huge conference center that were available for us to use. 'But we didn't use them.' 'Well, they are here, and you could have,' explains the Manager.

He goes on to explain we could also have taken in one of the shows for which the hotel is famous. 'We have the best entertainers from New York , Hollywood , and Las Vegas perform here,' the Manager says.

'But we didn't go to any of those shows.'
'Well, we have them, and you could have,' the Manager replies.

No matter what amenity the Manager mentions, I reply, 'But we didn't use it!'

The Manager is unmoved, and eventually I gave up and agreed to pay.

I write a check and give it to the Manager.

The Manager is surprised when he looks at the check. 'But sir, this check is only made out for $50.00.'
'That's correct, as I charged you $300.00 for sleeping with my wife.'

'But I didn't!' exclaims the Manager.

'Well, too bad, she was here, and you could have.'

That's funny.
It did remind me of a business trip I took to Chicago about 10 years ago. The owner of the company I worked for was a good man but cheap as the day is long. His favorite line when going out to dinner was - I'm financially embarassed can you cover it. Just a little background - back to the Chicago trip - Needless to say the hotel we checked into was not a four star hotel - maybe 1/4 star. Any how we check in. I get off the elevator and go to my room. The smell of cigar smoke when I opened the door should have sent up the "there's trouble here flag". I enter the room to find towels on the floor. The bed is messed up and there is a cigar smoldering in a coffee cup. I should have just walked out. I pick up the phone and call the front desk. The young female receptionist answers. I explain to her the condition of the room. She calmly responds " I'm sorry sir we must have had a DAY RATE in there - I will sent house keeping up right away to take care of it for you" It was like *** - a day rate. I got my bags - left my key on the fron desk and walked out.

Some day if the opportunity presents itself I will tell you about the trade show we went to in Germany - the house he rented - an the tour of the red light district he just had to see at 3am. Not as bad as it sounds - but funnier than heck.

Don't tease us MN Hunter with if the opportunity arises:) Heck I'd like to hear about this Germany trip and others probably want to hear too!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.