Horseback Spot & Stalk Coyotes

6.5Express

I was out riding some fence today when I jumped a coyote. It took off across the field to the opposite corner. By the time I made it to the corner the coyote ran to, I noticed there were two coyotes, and they weren't too quick to run away from me horseback. They kind of just stood there looking at me. Never one to let a coyote look me in the face, I took off loping for the trailer (and the 204 in the pickup). I tied up Reno grabbed my rifle and took off on my stalk - spurs and all. A little over 1/4 mile later, I saw one of the dogs bedded in the tall grass. Every once in a while when the wind died momentarily, it's head would poke up to check it's surroundings. I tried to crawl closer but couldn't without being seen. I folded out the bipod to see how taking the shot would feel. Last years moisture left way too much tall feed and the bipod at sitting height was not tall enough to see the bedded dog. I raised up to a third wire on a close by fence thinking I'd better hurry up or the dog would see me. I guessed the wind at a steady 15 mph right to left and guessed the dog at a little over 200 yards. At the shot, the coyote took off at a dead run to my left - dang! I got another shell in the gun and got up on the top wire for a running shot, right when I got him in the scope, he performed an excellent dirt roll! I sat awhile waiting to see if the second dog would show itself. A few minutes later, I decided I'd better just go get my dog. Walking up a broadside dog appeared. I dropped to the ground and got the bipod legs down - still too much grass for a sitting shot. I crawled out into a more open area for a shot and dog #2 saw me and took off on a trot into a low spot. When it came back up on higher ground where I could see it, it stopped broadside - with the wind holding stiff and steady, I held in front of it's nose about 1 foot. I shot and the dog took off running - DANG! I walked up to dog #1 and found that when I shot (I waited for a pause in the wind to hold steady) I should have compensated for the wind just a tad less, but nonetheless a dead, one shot dog. I figured I'd try to go see if I could find any blood from dog #2 and instead found another dead dog about 30 yards from where it was at the shot. The shot was a little low, but just behind the shoulder and it was another dead, one shot dog. Two shots, two dead coyotes and I didn't even have to take my spurs off!

The odd part was the exit holes. First time I've had 35 grain bergers exit and both dogs ended up with half dollar size holes on the offside.

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpg
    IMG_5909.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 64
Nice!!!! Thanks for sharing the story and the pic. The wheels have really been a turning in my head for a saddle gun build. Something that packs easily but will reach out.

Anyway, congrats on the double.

Jeff

Awesome, you are by far cooler then me this weekend. I gave the horses a rest and rode my snowmachine in Cooke City this weekend. 2 feet of fresh snow was nice, but not seeing even 1 coyote and barely a handful of elk in Yellowstone Park, was a sight I am not getting used to.
This year I have been getting little bug holes out the off side of my coyotes with 40 gr Sierras from my 223, which is new to me also. The inside of the coyote is just mush, but I get 1 tiny hole out. I hate holes out that are much bigger, because sewing sucks!
Good story!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.