Horrible BSA 270 Win chamber

74sharps

I have a BSA mannlicher in 270 Win, and it's chamber is downright horrible. I am able to use necked down 280 REM brass because this chamber is the same length to the shoulder. Unfortunately the chamber is slightly over size in diameter as well. I am able to shoot factory ammo fairly well, and can reload the necked down 280 brass. The rifle shoots fair enough to hunt with, and I can just leave well enough alone. With that being said, I have been toying with the idea of reaming the chamber with a Weatherby 6.5 RPM reamer to clean up the chamber and perhaps up the performance of the 20" barreled Mannlicher carbine. Worth while venture?

I wouldn't spend the money personally.
I can do that work myself, but usually only re-chamber a new barrel as trying to cut a worn throat can be a huge PITA.
As long as you do not increase the headspace by sizing too much, you shouldn't have an issue and leave well enough alone.

Cheers.

I'm going to necro post for several reasons.

Do you still have the BSA rifle?
Did you ever chamber cast it?
Is it even remotely possible that it has been reamed Ackley Improved?

I've seen this twice in BSA CF2's over the years.

I sold the rifle. The 280 brass I used did not look improved after it was fired.
No I did not cast the chamber. Did a lot of case measuring with the help of a gunsmith. Got tired of fighting with it, and accuracy was not what I had hoped.

Recent Posts