Hornady Sub 300 Blackout & 7.62 X 39

Bay Devil

Looking to run these two calibers suppressed for night calling predators. Normally we can get Coyotes 75 yards and closer. Anybody ever use this bullet for such and if so how was terminal performance?

190gn Sub-X was never a performer for me. I switched to Makers 200gn expanding for subs in 300 BLK and it shoots great. 110 Vor-Tx or Hammer 101 BO are good for supersonic.

If you want to try some pre-loaded ones, Gorilla makes a 205gn mono expanding sub:

I haven't killed anything with the Gorillas, but I did break down and buy a couple hundred when I was caught short on needing ammo fast. They shoot well on paper, and the bullet design should function the exact same. Lil'Gun and Makers are still my preference but Gorilla makes good stuff.

FWIW, my load is Hornady reloading brass, 7.6gn Lil'Gun, Rem 7.5 primer, and Makers T-Rex 200gn bullets. Shot under an inch at 100 yards through a Rem 700 16" 7 twist.

Yeah that was the deal for me, the monos cut so much better with the huge frontal area when they pop open. The Sub-X was hit or miss, and even when it opened it's half the size of what monos open to. With a sub there's not much energy to work with, so you have to cut as much tissue as you can. I think the right comparison is broadhead vs field point on an arrow.

What size are you seeing to shoot? I don't see a lot of the huge ones around me, otherwise I'd be using a bigger case honestly.

They are overly big. I have used 17HMR for head and neck, 17 Hornet, 223, and soon 204. The 7.62 and 300 would have a little more weight on hogs and ok for closer ranges.

Recent Posts