Hammer .300 101 grain Blackout bullet

Rich Coyle

Today I killed a doe with one of Hammer's 101 grain .300 Blackout bullets. Since my Ruger American .300 Blackout is waiting for another firing pin spring I borrowed a .308 Win. By the way the velocity from the 16" .300 BO averaged 2,548 feet per second. After looking at some reloading books and extrapolating from 125 grain loads to 110 grain loads down to the 101 grain bullet I chose 54 grains of H335. I seated the bullet so the top "groove" was a little inside the neck. The average velocity for about ten shots was 3,341 feet per second while I was sighting it in. The last two groups at 100 yards were 7/8".

I love to find bedded deer. Today I did that. It was raining so I left my binoculars at home. Of course I couldn't do my normal glassing. Eventually I did find one at 76 yards across a gully. It took a few minutes to get situated to put a shot though the branches and brush. By the time I shot it was almost a straight on frontal shot. It may have been quartering about 10*-15*. The bullet impacted the left side of the sternum near the bottom of the neck. It exited after ten inches of deer chest on the other side and went into the ground for another four inches. The deer rolled over at the shot. I discovered two broken ribs at the entrance wound and two more at the exit wound.

The bullet mushroom measured .390" x .473" and weighed 67.8 grains.

My photoshop is not working so there are no photos of the bullet or wounds yet.

Here's are photo of the entrance. I tried several times to reduce the size of the photos. It won't cooperate even when I replaced the originals.

002_zpsandsgmwc.jpg

Here's a photo of the exit. It was 3/4" X 2"

001_zpsfqdvelao.jpg

Here's a photo of the bullet.

004_zps2idr8jzb.jpg

You should be able to get some good speed out of those with your blk. H110 works well but I was able to get a bit more fps with lil gun same as in my .458 socom. I'm pushing 100gr raptors at 2550fps. That's a boat with large plastic tip. When steve and I were talking about what I would like out of a bullet what you have is what came out of it. I think he is being modest with speed. With the bullet being shorter because lack of plastic tip and flat base should free up plenty of space for powder. I'm personally expecting 2600 or better out of mine when finished.

You should be able to get some good speed out of those with your blk. H110 works well but I was able to get a bit more fps with lil gun same as in my .458 socom. I'm pushing 100gr raptors at 2550fps. That's a boat with large plastic tip. When steve and I were talking about what I would like out of a bullet what you have is what came out of it. I think he is being modest with speed. With the bullet being shorter because lack of plastic tip and flat base should free up plenty of space for powder. I'm personally expecting 2600 or better out of mine when finished.

Keep me updated please

Try Alliant 300-MP as well. I've got an 8 pounder sitting around for use in my .300 BLK, .357 Mags, and .44 Mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.