Hornady SST's

ZIMM

A few of the guys went out to check my fathers .257 Weatherby. We wanted to check it out with some milk jugs. We put the jugs right below the dike of the pond at 239 yards away. While they were shooting I went to my truck and grabbed my slug gun that I've been tinkering for longe range shots. I have the Nikon BDC reticle scope mounted on my gun with a hastings barrel. I used the fourth BDC reticle and I was high @239 yards. The third reticle, still high. Second reticle still to high. I put the cross hairs right on the jug and blew it in two. I shot the next three jugs in the row using my crosshairs at 239 yards!!! Without a doubt I know I can easily shoot three hundred yards using my set-up. I'll try to figure out in the next couple of weeks to see how high I'm at the different distances. Atleast I know where my zero is at ;)

what type of gun is it, I have shot the sst and they are terrible in my encore and benneli slug guns, I couldnt hit a 12"X12" at 125yrd 1 out of three shots, now the remington copper solids will got in about 2" groups at that distance

think the sst will only shoot in a cetain twist from what all the slug hunters I know have said

Jared

For what it's worth, I've heard several first hand reports that the SST does not have enough integrity to hold together at longer shots on game. I suspect a shot through the lungs would be fine, but anything hard like bone would not be good for it.

The SST is accurate but at longer distances I would prefer something else on larger game.

For what it's worth, I've heard several first hand reports that the SST does not have enough integrity to hold together at longer shots on game. I suspect a shot through the lungs would be fine, but anything hard like bone would not be good for it.

The SST is accurate but at longer distances I would prefer something else on larger game.

Wouldn't it be MORE likely to hold together at long shots on game, rather than less?

Hold together better: possibly yes. The reports I heard are that animals shot with the SST at longer distances do not die as quickly as they do with other slugs. That's the best technical explanation I can give.

Been a while since I posted, but it was a very good season, You have to love Missouri 99 deer tags.... You can never bring enough ammo....

I did have my distances on my shotgun but I lost them. I started 9 inches high at 0-100 yards, thats all i remember. Hopefully sometime in August I can get out and shoot targets with a guy I know who is sponsored by Hornady... For as much as I spend on those SST's you'd think I'de atleast get a sticker!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts