hornady lock and load auto charge scale

GW Hunter

I am in the market for a new digital scale. The Hornady auto charge scale has grabbed my interest so I am wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with it? Or recommendations for a nice digital scale... Thanks

I have the auto charge unit. I have used it for years and I can't imagine reloading without it now. My digital display isn't as crisp as it used to be but it seems to work very well. I can't complain about anything. Inserting a McDonald's straw into the tube helped get more consistent charges because without it sometimes it would drop too much when it was trying to trickle out the last bit of the charge. Overall, I'm happy with it. I'm talking about the auto charger that drops powder onto thte scale and not just a digital scale.

Rcbs has a 100 dollar rebate if you spend 299.99 or more. You can get the charge master for 199.99 after rebate.

This has worked well. It is plus or minus 0.1 grain for a total variance of 0.2 grains.

My balance beam scale i can get within 0.01 grains. For plinking rounds it is awesome. For accurate and consistent rounds i use it to throw a charge half a grain under and then trickle the last half grain on the balance beam.

If you are doing a lot of reloading definitely worth it.

John

I recently purchased one to try and speed up the process a bit. Had used a buddies pact in the past. With ball or spherical powders it is not too bad. With big extruded powders not good at all. I have to put it in the slowest mode and adjust the settings to keep it from over charging. One thing I do not like is that it has a .20 tolerance on over charge. If it is within the .2 it then reads the target weight not the actual weight. Really all these cheap digital strain gauges have the same inherent flaws. A good magnetic force balance is the way to go but they are in the 600-700 $ range to start. It really depends on how much preciscion you want and what you are willing to pay. For preciscion you can't beat trickling on a good balance beam it's just slow. If you can live with .1-.2 accuracy then the Strain gauges are not bad. If you want speed and accuracy be prepared to spend a lot more money.

I went with the RCBS and with a bit of tweaking it's working like a charm and measures accurate. It's been my best reloading investment yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.