Hornady Interlock: A Classic Performer?

The Hornady Interlock is an accurate bullet, but I have found that a load very similar to yours out of my Remington 700 with Nosler Ballistic Tips or AccuBonds seems to result in less tracking and a quicker kill. Right now, you may be forced to stay with the Interlocks due to the shortage of components, but if you can get your hands on some 165 gr. NBTs, over that same load, I doubt you will be disappointed in the results. AccuBonds will shoot to the same POI as either the Interlocks or NBTs.

The Hornady Interlock is an accurate bullet, but I have found that a load very similar to yours out of my Remington 700 with Nosler Ballistic Tips or AccuBonds seems to result in less tracking and a quicker kill. Right now, you may be forced to stay with the Interlocks due to the shortage of components, but if you can get your hands on some 165 gr. NBTs, over that same load, I doubt you will be disappointed in the results. AccuBonds will shoot to the same POI as either the Interlocks or NBTs.
the nbt is a decent pill too, but I've run a lot more sierra and hdy since nos went 50 count. I run quite a few ab's but gravitate to cheaper options for higher volume shooters.

I usually have better accuracy luck with the hdy, but I've got a peanut butter jar 3/4 full of 165 rem pills too in case I want to play with them.
I bought some Rem mushrooms off the classifieds here. 180gr 303B for my Enfield No4Mk2. Can't wait to pop a hog with them. I am always a bit dismayed when I can't recover bullets to analyze, but its kinda bittersweet I guess because a pass through always results in a good kill.

I recently thought about posting about the use of an Interlock this year. I continue to be thoroughly impressed with the bullet.

I shot a mature mountain buck this year in SWPA. Shooting a 200gr RN Interlock out of a M600 350 Rem Mag. Walking up to the buck, that dropped immediately, it had me wondering. I've spent years spending coin on TSX and TTSX. I've done very well with the Barnes bullets, but the cost always bugged me. Accuracy always comes quick but nearing $1.00 a bullet sucks.

When I walked up to the buck this year, I laughed. Those Interlocks, which cost me under $30 out the door at the LGS, absolute hammered that whitetail. A simple, straight to the point bullet that does it's job without complication. It is accurate and hammers whitetail. I have serious confidence in the bullet.

As I was dragging the buck out, I was thinking - "maybe I should start over with other rifles with Interlocks". It's to be determined. I will also say - this rifle and hand load combo is my go to for rifle season. The cartridge is wonderful, the bullets hit hard and anchor whitetail, and the rifle is a short, light handling monster.

(I realize the use of a 350RM certainly helps the anchoring of deer, but a cartridge means nothing without the correct bullet.)

Attachments

• BA449C54-09E1-4920-A99E-C6DF675305F3.jpeg
    BA449C54-09E1-4920-A99E-C6DF675305F3.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 93
  • 32BC9948-49DA-486D-B6D5-31BAD61ED920.jpeg
    32BC9948-49DA-486D-B6D5-31BAD61ED920.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
I bought some Rem mushrooms off the classifieds here. 180gr 303B for my Enfield No4Mk2. Can't wait to pop a hog with them. I am always a bit dismayed when I can't recover bullets to analyze, but its kinda bittersweet I guess because a pass through always results in a good kill.
yup, you don't catch many pills from a decent 7 or 30 unless you are coring critters with them.

While I love the Hornady's Interlock I have to admit that the Nosler Ballistic Tip will do the deal as well as the Interlock and at longer ranges.
I just wish they came in 100 count boxes like they did some years ago.This may be the new normal.

There is no way to count the amount of deer I have shot with 100 gr Hornady Interlock in 243,150 gr Interlock for 308 and 30-06.
270 as well took many and like others here "they just work"!
I still have some of the old flat base bullets in 30 cal and feel confidence in them with any caliber.
Hornady kept the Interlock alive by giving it a boattail and plastic tip in the form of the SST
The SST is a more accurate bullet, just did a comparison with the SST and Interlock for a 30-06 Remington 742. At 100 yards, SST 2 1/2" Group vs Interlock 6". It just may be the gun. A 1960 rifle.

As a reloader for over 35 years, I've never thought twice about the cost of a component if it performed well at the target range and in the field. Until recently, availability of reloading materials has not been a problem for me. The previous shortages were shortlived and I had stockpiled enough of my favorite components to last several years. I had folks "borrowing" primers and powder during the last scare. This pandemic has lasted longer than anticipated and has impacted the shooting world like never before. I have purchased powders that I have never used before and only because they were available and could possibly duplicate the performance of my preferred powders. Same with bullets.
Although I have never taken an animal with Hornady interlocks, I have witnessed enough kills with it to say that with the correct weight selection for caliber, they will work on any game animal in North America. And, as others have mentioned, you can't beat the price!!

A few folks have said the new SST is more accurate than the older Interlock's and I feel that is true as I have shot SST's with tighter groups than the old flatbase interlock's but that could be the gun as Western4444 said.
I have some new Interlocks I bought a couple of years ago and will shoot for groups with them against the older Interlocks and report but I feel the newer bullets will out perform the older ones's as bullet making has come a long ways since the 70's.

Gentleman, I hate to be one to disagree with so many experienced hunters, but have you ever considered what happens to the parts of a cup and core bullet that gets "shed" when it passes thru a game animal? Testing by the Minn. DNR and MT FWP have shown that small particles of lead are shed and are scattered out in the gut pile and in the meat of the animal.usually within 6 to 12 Inches of the wound channel. Eagles and hawks feeding on the gut pile that ingest any of these lead particles can suffer a slow death from even one of these particles.
As for the particles that end up in the meat that is consumed by your family, especially children and women of child bearing age, studies have decreased mental development in children from even low levels of lead and exposure during pregnancy can result in premature births. There's an article in the Sept/Oct issue of Montana Outdoors magazine summarizing some of this Information but more is available on the Minn. and Wisn DNR websites. I know a lot of you will probably make light of this I formation, but I suggest it's a subject worth investigating. I changed to mono bullets years ago and would never go back to lead.

GRL - I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. That said, I've been hunting and reloading for over 40 years. I currently use a 35 caliber, 200 grain Interlock in my 350 Rem Mag pushing about 2700 fps in front of a modest amount of IMR 4064. It is devastating on deer at ranges out to about 250 yards. At these ranges, I see no practical need to use premium bullets. I get the same results out of my 308 and 30-06 with Interlocks.

Recent Posts