Hornady GS 1500 =/-?

huntxtrm

Hello all.. I have a Honady GS 1500 digital scale. It came with the kit I bought. I've been using it to weigh my powder. It seems to vary a lot. sometimes .5 gn between loads. I tare the dish, fill it with powder to 84.5 gn, let it settle a moment. then dump the powder in the cartridge, throw the pan back on the scale. Then its .3gn or so off tare? I have been doing a lot of reweighing powder. I'm loading light right now, so I'm not to worried about the difference. but once I start moving up and trying to get more precise with my loads, I don't want this. Any ideas? Is it crap? Should I just get a good ole school beam scale? Is there a good digital scale to get? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

The more review I read about it, I'm thinking of pulling all 32 rounds I just loaded and getting another scale, and doing it again. I don't think I want to waste retumbo and Bergers on inaccurate powder weights. I am going for some sort of accuracy! What would be a good scale to go to?

I have a OLD Ohaus 10-10 that has always done a fine job for me. I just clean the knives and bearings occasionally with a Q-tip and alcohol, make sure it's level side to side and front to back, and keep the cover on when not in use. I don't know about the modern RCBS version but mine seems like it'll outlast me. I can't give an informed opinion on digital scales as I've never used one to compare the two.

I have a OLD Ohaus 10-10 that has always done a fine job for me. I just clean the knives and bearings occasionally with a Q-tip and alcohol, make sure it's level side to side and front to back, and keep the cover on when not in use. I don't know about the modern RCBS version but mine seems like it'll outlast me. I can't give an informed opinion on digital scales as I've never used one to compare the two.

I'm leaning towards a beam scale. Just seems like it would be more stable.

get yourself a beam scale, RCBS, Lyman, Redding, Lee what ever but get a second scale
AND use them in a warm draft free room

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.