Hornady ELDX Performance

• Thread starter Deleted member 112099
  • Start date
Bonded bullets are just not as accurate period. Can they shoot? Yes, but on average they will NEVER compete with cup and core. I personally prefer my bullet to come apart rather than stay together because of the kills I have witnessed the coming apart puts animals down faster.
The Federal Fusion ammo have been very accurate for me. The pictures here are of one of my 270's on paper at 100 yards and a 7/8 group at 200 yards on steel with a 6.5 Creedmoor out of a Weatherby Vanguard. Also the Fusion shoots great out of a 243 mod 70 featherweight and another mod 70 270. Thats 4 rifle that shoot fusion ammo accurately.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.JPG
    IMG_0074.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 85
I've been pushing 162 Amax out of a few 708 rifles anywhere from 2600 fps mv to 2800 fps mv. They are awesome on white tail. Always drop, worst tracking was about 15 yrds. 1 in 4 deer is half field dr

Well this got stupid fast.
I thought we were past the target/match vs hunting bullet and all the guilt-shaming garbage associated with it.
You are not going to change each other's minds and certainly not anyone else's, so stop the needless "forum-petitioning" and "confirmation-biasing". There is overwhelming server space filled with opinion supporting both cases. Jesus, we're all very sorry hanging out with your relatives for Thanksgiving triggered you but just agree to disagree, go eat some leftover turkey, order up a couple 338 Sherman Shorts, and go take a nap.

Last edited:
I killed up couple deer with my truck and the manufacturer does not recommend it even though it seems to work great!
I love this response elkaholic! It is refreshing to see a little sense of humor when most are firmly giving their opinions on "what works for them" as I myself have done. I once heard an older gentleman pipe in on an argument between hunters about what bullet and caliber was best for this and that, he spoke up and said " H..l boys a 22 LR is a heck of a moose round.....as long as you get close enough to shove your barrel down it's ear."

As it has been stated here and in other past posts, there is no one bullet or caliber that suits every shot scenario. We as hunters must match each to our individual hunting situation. My opinion on this subject is to use a bullet/cartridge combination to get the job done regardless of the distance or shot angle and or know your limitations with such equipment and be ready to pass up certain shot opportunities regardless how big or small the target is.

Thanks again for a little humor.

My wife used the 143 grain ELDX out of a 6.5 creedmoor this year to kill a mule deer. Pass thru at 100 yards. Exit was about a 1 inch hole.

She also shot an Antelope with a 200 grain ELD X out of a 300 win mag. Slight quartering away shot. Bullet exit was about the size of an egg in diameter.

Hey all
New to the site. Just wanted to let you all know what my experience was with this bullet. 7mm rem mag 162 hornady eldx. 269 yards mule deer broadside in the crease, perfect placement.
Deer went 30 yards and dropped. Perfect? Not really. When I looked at entrance which was perfect placement. There was stomach grass coming out of the entrance? No exit. After cleaning and skinning it was apparent that the jacket and core separated at contact. The core turned right into body cavity and exploded. Essentially gut shooting my deer from the heart. All that was found was the shell of the jacket on off side. These bullets are unpredictable and have a dangerous behavior. The core could have went anywhere, as it was ejected from jacket free to go wherever. A wandering bullet can not be safe.
FYI
I would suggest you go to your Local Meat Market to purchase food, and please be careful of what you watch on TV, as you may be offended.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.