Hornady eldm?

Vortex!

I've read a bit about the eldx but I was wondering if the eldm could be used for hunting too and if anybody has experience with them? If so I would love to hear how they work on different animals. Maybe some pics and stories.

By and large match bullets are not made for hunting, they do not expand well to create the wound channel needed to kill quickly. I tend to use a bullet designed for the job but I have had bad experiences as well. I have heard many people have had very good success with a match or target bullet.

" by and large match bullets are not made for hunting"
I agree with you on that and have always thought so too. I have read a few stories about people using those though and was wondering if anybody on here has used them and if they were indeed a failure or if they actually work.

I have been using the 75 grain eldm in my 22 Grendel to kill coyotes, they work great. I am going to use the 180's in my 28 Nosler this year hunting whitetail.

My avatar pic has a whitetail killed with a 168 eldm out of a 308. Worked fantastic. They also work well on coyotes. There are tons of threads on this site on eldm/amaxs used for hunting

I've shot antelope with a 168 amax out of .308win at 2740fps. terminal performance was pretty impressive. .30 caliber entry hole with a 2 inch exit hole. she dropped like she got struck by lightning. A buddy of mine shot a cow elk with the same bullet. he hit her in the neck and the explosive blood loss was kinda gruesome. I think the Amax is pretty much an eldm unless somebody else here has a better idea on that info.

The Amax , Eld-m are built more like a Nosler BT than a traditional Berger or SMK type target bullet. I can't imagine the Hornady not expanding at any normal hunting velocities.

well I can't say about hunting with them but dam are they accurate on paper with anything Im shooting them in ! 6.5CM, 7mm-08 I have some for my 6.5 PRC to try when its finished also

Everything I've read said they work very well. I plan on hunting with the 6.5mm, 147g, ELD-M. Rock chucks, Deer, on up to elk.

Some target bullets don't work for hunting but it doesn't mean they all don't. Like mentioned above. People have been getting it done with the AMAX bullets for years. You can split hairs a little but the ELD-M is just a rebranded AMAX w/ a fancy new tip.

The Gunwerks boys loaded me some 180 grain 7mm Remington Magnum shells and I got Hornady ELD-M bullets. They shoot tighter groups than the 168 Bergers. My understanding is that the Gunwerks guys kill a lot of animals with them.

Ive been using the 225eldM exclusively in my custom chambered 300wm with lots of success. I started testing milk jugs out to 700yds with violent expansion. So I used them last season on 12 deer and 1cow elk out to 860yards. I was amazed with every shot the amount of expansion and penetration. Now, I realize this is a 225gr bullet so it carries a little more weight than a 6.5 143-147gr but it even expanded well on whitetail doe at 840,850 and 860yards. The only bullet I recovered was a wt Doe that I shot at 400yards in the chest facing me. The bullet entered in the base of the neck with a huge audible THUMP. I recovered it in skin on the rump by the tail, fully expanded, so penetraiton went the full length of the body.

The elk cow was 180yds, so more of a high velocity impact. Struck her high in both shoulder blades, erasing the top half of her lungs, breaking the spine. Left a hole I could put my fist through and exited. It all my testing the 225eldM is solid on game. I feel the synthetic tip allows it to open consistent unlike other match grade bullets with open-tip (hollow points) that expand irregular or not at all. Use them with confidence. I just got another 500!
James
View attachment 97222

this is a pic of Yorke's testing with listed velocity in his wet leather test medium

View attachment 97221

Last edited: