Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Shot this 245lb white tail at 30 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor using Hornady's 143 ELD X. The bullet turned both lungs to liquid. He ran about 50 yds and died!

Attachments

• ohio 2.jpg
    ohio 2.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 78
  • ohio 4.jpg
    ohio 4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 85
Thank you WR. Good report. All I can report is a small caribou shot through the lungs at 225 yards with the 178 ELDX. 2576 muzzle velocity. Exit hole a little smaller than a dime. Dropped dead in his tracks. High lung hit. No spine or shoulder bones involved. I don't recall if any ribs were involved.
With caribou that doesn't surprise me at all. Considering how tough the environment is where they live it amazes me how easily they go down.

Does anybody have any load data for the 300 win mag with Retumbo and the 212gr eld-x? I am not finding a good place to at least start with this load and would like to try Retumbo.

Does anybody have any load data for the 300 win mag with Retumbo and the 212gr eld-x? I am not finding a good place to at least start with this load and would like to try Retumbo.

I have load data for the Hornady 200gr ELDX using Retumbo that was based on loads that I had previously used with 210 Bergers. I use Norma brass, 79gr Retumbo, Fed 215M Primers, 200gr ELDX seated .020" off the lands. This load gives sub .5MOA performance with 2890FPS, ES 11, out of my 24" Rem700 Milspec, The same load using Berger 210's gives identical results. I would work up from a grain or two less.
Groups with 200ELD-X

Attachments

• IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 84
Shot the 147 ELD-M in my .260 AI today.

Didn't have the best conditions, wind from 5 to 15 mph and about 15 degrees, but by timing my shots with the wind, I got some useable data.

This was a load work up for seating depth, and they do seem somewhat picky on the depth, though all loads shot under MOA. All loads were with 47.5 grains H-4831SC, and I had no pressure signs whatsoever. I shot 2 three shot groups of each seating depth, and adjusted up 1 MOA between groups, as to give two separate groups. As you can see with the .090" off groups, I'm glad I did this, as my first group was the best of the bunch, but this seems to be an anomaly. Judging by consistency, I'm going to say .050" off, or 2.865" OAL is where it is going to give me the best performance. Next, I'm going to do a charge work up over the chrono and see where I find the best accuracy/lowest SD, as well as max pressure. I'll update my findings there, but these bullets are looking promising.

I fired a group above the top left target with my current load with 140 Bergers, to compare to these. That load consistently shoots .3" every time I put it on paper, so that is what I'm shooting for with these 147 pills. If they will do that at 2900 fps or better, I will switch to the 147's.

Cody,

How long is your 260 AI throated? I have .160" in a "match" chamber and am starting to compress loads of H4831 at 45 gr. under the 143 ELD-X. At 46.5 I am not able to maintain the seating depth and the bullet seater is leaving an indentation on the bullet. There are still no pressure signs at all, but I cannot get another gr. of powder into the case. Maybe H4831sc will settle a little better. I even ran an electric toothbrush against the case to try to get it to settle more and fit more powder. Versus the Bergers there appears to be a lot more bearing surface and boat tail. Problem is that if its throated much longer there will not be much chase left and 130s will be out of the question.

I'd appreciate your thoughts,

Chris

Cody,

How long is your 260 AI throated? I have .160" in a "match" chamber and am starting to compress loads of H4831 at 45 gr. under the 143 ELD-X. At 46.5 I am not able to maintain the seating depth and the bullet seater is leaving an indentation on the bullet. There are still no pressure signs at all, but I cannot get another gr. of powder into the case. Maybe H4831sc will settle a little better. I even ran an electric toothbrush against the case to try to get it to settle more and fit more powder. Versus the Bergers there appears to be a lot more bearing surface and boat tail. Problem is that if its throated much longer there will not be much chase left and 130s will be out of the question.

I'd appreciate your thoughts,

Chris

My throat is right at .242" after 450 rounds. With the 147 ELD-M, I'm touching lands @ 2.916"-2.913" depending on bullet OAL, my CBTO touching lands is 2.275". With my seating depth @ .050 off, or 2.225" CBTO, my seating is consistent at 48.4 grains, but when I moved up to 48.7 grains I started getting slight variations of about .005" in 6 rounds. At 49 grains, I got .012" variation in 6 rounds. I'm using the sc powder

Drag Variability and the use of the
I think this will help explain the reason they are using the BCs they are using... At least it helped explain how they determined the trajectory and drag curves..

Hornady is identifying multiple reasons for variable bullet flight performance with their $100,000 radar equipment, and educating the shooting public as they identify new factors affecting external ballistics of bullet flight. Good for them.

Bryan Litz pooh-poohed Hornady's employment of the 4DOF method of predicting bullet flight a while back as documented in a separate thread posted on this Forum. Bryan needs to buy the $100,000 radar setup before pooh-poohing the competition as under-educated, unknowing, inexperienced, and incompetent. If Bryan was already aware of the cause and affects on bullet flight being discovered and reported by Hornady, wouldn't he have informed us before Hornady did? Hornady can detect the cause and affect with their advanced velocity detecting equipment. They're the ones breaking new ground, in my opinion. And they shouldn't be frivolously discredited by competitors, if the competitor's primary stated goal is increasing the applied and practical knowledge and skills of the shooting community.

Last edited:
I wondered where this hunting season's reports on ELD-X performance were being posted? I see some here in this Thread, which I haven't visited for some time. If anyone is aware of other Threads with a wealth of terminal performance reporting, please post the link(s)? I completed a Google search, which didn't identify Threads with many posts, other than this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.