Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Yeah, but they already do(put a ballistic tip on their GMX)...just talking about using the best material per their own research.

Like I say, just incremental, not revolutionary.

With the continuous push to eliminate lead, it is only a matter of time before you have no choice.

I understand and accept your expertise and am not disputing why it was implemented here FIRST.

Just see no reason not to rapidly replace existing material. There is no down side that I can see.

Yeah I know they already have polymer tips. I'm saying putting a Heat Shield Tip on a GMX is not needed because it's not designed to be a long range bullet and the BCs are not high enough to retain the needed velocity to melt plastic tips like the A-MAX did.

Yeah I know they already have polymer tips. I'm saying putting a Heat Shield Tip on a GMX is not needed because it's not designed to be a long range bullet and the BCs are not high enough to retain the needed velocity to melt plastic tips like the A-MAX did.

Except that you ignore the examples I gave.

At 700 yards the 139 GMX 7mm REM MAG load from Hornady is traveling 1933 and still has 1153 energy.

At 700 yards the ELD is only traveling at 1966...very little difference.

With a 200 yard sight in the 139 only dropped 88 inch while the ELD drops 95 inch.

Yes, the ELD has significantly more retained energy, and from 700 yards out really starts to shine.

But according to the Hornady literature, melting actually occurs very soon, the effect of the lost BC is only seen significantly past the standard ranges of 300-400 yards. The melting occurs within 100 yards at higher velocity loads.

The GMX actually out performs the ELD 162 out to 700 yards...
Hence if you use it from say 200 to 600 yards, a distance at which it well designed, you should see significant gains in accuracy, and retained BC if they implemented the new material.

The blanket assumption that GMX are not long range rounds doesn't hold up.

The 212 is much sleeker than the 200. I can't vouch for the 220s shape or form but if it seems like the 212 is disproportionately higher than the 200, it's because the 212 is noticeably more streamlined.

I've shot the 178 ELDX to 1006. My experience is limited with them so I don't want to say for a certain that the published BC is accurate but I will say that it is extremely promising and it is in fact miles ahead of the 178 AMAX. I used .535G1 and was right on. Again though, it was one session. I need more time with it to say for sure. I do feel confident. I was shooting my rifles over the chronograph and recording atmospheric conditions at the time. My proven loads were right on so I'm reasonably confident I was doing everything right that day.

Thanks Michael, for the encouragement.

I have shot the 143 ELDX in my 6.5 SS out to 1400 yards and they seem to be
SPOT ON! They are also very accurate and I really like what I am seeing expansion wise especially at distance.....Rich

Thanks Rich. Now, was that 1400 yards, just target shooting or did you shoot something like a deer with it?

At 700 yards the 139 GMX 7mm REM MAG load from Hornady is traveling 1933 and still has 1153 energy.

With a 200 yard sight in the 139 only dropped 88 inch while the ELD drops 95 inch.

Yes, the ELD has significantly more retained energy, and from 700 yards out really starts to shine.

But according to the Hornady literature, melting actually occurs very soon, the effect of the lost BC is only seen significantly past the standard ranges of 300-400 yards. The melting occurs within 100 yards at higher velocity loads.

Hence if you use it from say 200 to 600 yards, a distance at which it well designed, you should see significant gains in accuracy, and retained BC if they implemented the new material.

Are we talking factory ammo? The 162 eld-x ammo is conservative for a 7mm RM. If you were to handled the 2 I think you would find a much greater difference.

Guys -- I'm working through load development with a 212 eld-x and 300 WM and seem to be stuck.

My best groups to date are .85 moa at .040 off lands 78 gr of H1000. I know the rifle is capable of sub .5 moa (bergers). I'd really like to use the ELD-X as my hunting bullets but I'd like at least .5moa. Note. I've tested H1000 powder and seating depth combos from 76 to 78.5 grains and .020 to 0.60. Please let me know if you guys have any additional thoughts on how i can tighten things up.

Regards,

LHP

Component info: Norma Brass, Fed 215, H1000, 212 ELD-X

Rifle Info: 300 WM, 26" Bartlein 3b fluted, Stiller predator, jewell trigger, mcmillin hunter. Nightforce 5.5x22-50 G7 scope. Harrells gill break.

Guys -- I'm working through load development with a 212 eld-x and 300 WM and seem to be stuck.

My best groups to date are .85 moa at .040 off lands 78 gr of H1000. I know the rifle is capable of sub .5 moa (bergers). I'd really like to use the ELD-X as my hunting bullets but I'd like at least .5moa. Note. I've tested H1000 powder and seating depth combos from 76 to 78.5 grains and .020 to 0.60. Please let me know if you guys have any additional thoughts on how i can tighten things up.

Regards,

LHP

Rifle Info: 300 WM, 26" Bartlein 3b fluted, Stiller predator, jewell trigger, mcmillin hunter. Nightforce 5.5x22-50 G7 scope. Harrells gill break.

Try RL26. 73-75.5 grains. Try seating from the lands then off in 2 thou steps.
Work up carefully when your touching the lands.
Most of my loads have the 212 at 10 thou off

You ignore the fact that the GMX was not designed to shoot and kill at 700 yards. All the solid bullets like Barnes, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc. are good short range projectiles for use under 400 yards, but fail to expand enough at longer ranges. We have also found these solids do not shoot exceptionally well for us beyond a couple hundred yards. Also, the ELD-X has more energy than the GMX at any given distance from 0-700 yards with factory loads. With reloads, you can push a 162 ELD at 3100fps and then the GMX would be lost in the dust from the muzzle to 1000 yards.

If the GMX is so great for long range, maybe you should call Hornady and explain to them how the whole 3 year development of the ELD-X was a waste and they should have just made more GMX bullets....

By the way this is a thread dedicated to the ELD-X, if you want to discuss the GMX wonder bullets then I suggest starting a new thread.

so again, you missed where I said very adequate, If not specifically designed for extreme long range.

maybe you should call Hornady and explain to them how the whole 3 year development of the ELD-X was a waste and they should have just made more GMX bullets....

lead has been banned from waterfowl hunting for some years.
California just instituted it for the entire state for all bullets
The US military is going lead free for their standard battle bullet.

IDK...it may indeed have been a better investment of time and money to focus on perfecting the solid core design to eliminate the deficiencies you point out.

On topic, I was talking about the ELD-X tip technology.
I grant that much else has gone off topic, so I guess we can just agree to disagree on the rest.

It would make sense for Hornady to extend the heat shield tips to some of their other lines of bullets, specifically the ones that would actual benifit from it. Perhaps it will be something they do in the future.

Last edited:
Unless the new tip cost more I'd expect it to be extended to their other tips once the old supply is exhausted. They may even do so without advertisement.

so again, you missed where I said very adequate, If not specifically designed for extreme long range.

lead has been banned from waterfowl hunting for some years.
California just instituted it for the entire state for all bullets
The US military is going lead free for their standard battle bullet.

IDK...it may indeed have been a better investment of time and money to focus on perfecting the solid core design to eliminate the deficiencies you point out.

On topic, I was talking about the ELD-X tip technology.
I grant that much else has gone off topic, so I guess we can just agree to disagree on the rest.

From analytical Veiw it works.
From a business marketing Veiw it doesn't.
You want to beat your competitors products. Give a better product. Get the most return on the investment for development.
Then expand your new developments and apply as market demands.

Regards,

LHP

Following up closely, as I am in "load development" stage for my 300 WM as well.

At the moment I am focusing on Bergers, as ELD-X seem to be hard to find, although I'd like to give it a go, when I can lay my hands on them....

What twist rate is your barrel ?

Do you Guys think a 1 in 11" (26" bl) would stabilize a 212 grs. ELD bullet, or should I focus more on 178/200ish ?

Thanks
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts