Hornady ELD-X Official Thread

Regarding copper fouling. I cleaned my 6.5 for the first time yesterday after about 100 rounds. It was still shooting great but I was cleaning the others so thought I'd go ahead. I found zero copper fouling in the barrel. The last 25 rounds were the ELD-X. The previous were Precision Ballistics that use the Berger jacket. The 6 Creed had nearly 600 rounds having only Bergers shot through it. One patch came out blue and the rest were clear. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't seen much difference in the Bergers and ELD-X as far as copper fouling although 25 rounds isn't much of a sample size.

So, this leads to another question:
I really like the reviews of this muzzle brake:
EFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake - Precision ArmamentPrecision Armament

It seems the very best balance between reduced recoil, NOT increased concussive blast, and flash reduction.

Does anyone have any experience with how such a brake affects accuracy?

Wouldn't want to spend the money only to find that it is causing accuracy akin to tumbling bullets at 50 yards described above. :D
That is not a muzzle break you are likely to be happy with in the long run. First it's a 360 discharge brake which means if you shoot prone or in the snow you are likely to be blinded instantly and if you are shooting into the wind catch a nasty sandstorm in the face when you pull the trigger.

I've looked at dozens of brake designs over the years and tried quite a few of them and settled on the Northwest Precision Muzzle Brake.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-all-nortwest-precision-muzzle-brakes-141924/

I now have them on nine different rifles from 7mm STW up to 300Rum and 375 Ruger. You cannot beat them for anywhere close to the same money.

They do a great job of both reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil and they aren't hard at all on the ears either if you forget to put your ear protection on or don't have time to do so.

Someone might talk me into trying another design at some point but unless it's free it'll take a whole lot of arm twisting.

Regarding copper fouling. I cleaned my 6.5 for the first time yesterday after about 100 rounds. It was still shooting great but I was cleaning the others so thought I'd go ahead. I found zero copper fouling in the barrel. The last 25 rounds were the ELD-X. The previous were Precision Ballistics that use the Berger jacket. The 6 Creed had nearly 600 rounds having only Bergers shot through it. One patch came out blue and the rest were clear. I guess what I'm saying is that I haven't seen much difference in the Bergers and ELD-X as far as copper fouling although 25 rounds isn't much of a sample size.
There shouldn't be much if any. The ELD-X is using a gilding metal jacket rather than a pure copper jacket which should minimize copper fouling except in a really rough barrel which is of course going to have problems no matter what you shoot through it.

Hey everyone. I have been a member of the board for a while, just do more reading than posting. I am currently doing some LD and looking for some advice from others. Here where I am at.

Winchester Model 70 Laredo LRH 24" Barrel
Vortex 4-16x50 HSLR
Shooting off of bags
Groups at 20 yards
3 shot groups

162gr ELD Match
Reloader 22 63.5 and 64.0 (I know its more than the hornady book)
H1000 64.0 and 64.5
Retumbo 66.5 and 67.1 (66.5 was the best group at .882 MOA)
Magnum 65.6 and 66.0

I was using WW Super brass trimmed to 2.498
COAL was 3.440 which is a .020 jump in my rifle.

What kind of recipes are you guys using? How far from the lands are you seating?

Hey everyone. I have been a member of the board for a while, just do more reading than posting. I am currently doing some LD and looking for some advice from others. Here where I am at.

Winchester Model 70 Laredo LRH 24" Barrel
Vortex 4-16x50 HSLR
Shooting off of bags
Groups at 20 yards
3 shot groups

162gr ELD Match
Reloader 22 63.5 and 64.0 (I know its more than the hornady book)
H1000 64.0 and 64.5
Retumbo 66.5 and 67.1 (66.5 was the best group at .882 MOA)
Magnum 65.6 and 66.0

I was using WW Super brass trimmed to 2.498
COAL was 3.440 which is a .020 jump in my rifle.

What kind of recipes are you guys using? How far from the lands are you seating?

I wouldn't really worry about going over in the hornady manual. All,my loads are .5-1 grain over max in the hornady manual. The pet load for my 7mm with the 162 a-max is 64 grains of rl-22 .005 off the lands

I wouldn't really worry about going over in the hornady manual. All,my loads are .5-1 grain over max in the hornady manual. The pet load for my 7mm with the 162 a-max is 64 grains of rl-22 .005 off the lands

Thanks! That was my next step was bring the bullet closer to the lands. I have found the majority of the books have a low max. I would assume to the fact that they are loaded to a Mag Length and not very long. My burgers are like 2gr below mini load and shoot amazing though. I need to get more velocity out of them though.

Yeah, I've found the same
Just wanted to update folks on my experience in working up H4831sc/ 200 ELD-X loads for my 300 WM for a moose hunt this September. In my Rem 700 the 200 ELD-X touches the lands at 3.608"; I have tried various COL's and powder weights from 72.5 to 73.6 (Hornady's Max is 73.8) and my rifle consistently shoots under 1" groups (100 yds.) throughout the entire range of powder weights and with COL's from 3.55" to 3.603". Velocities ranged from the low 2700's to low 2900's.

My best groups (all under .5") were at 3.600" and 73 gr. which averaged 2800 FPS; the
tightest group so far was .150". That is my load of choice for moose this fall.

Just wanted to update folks on my experience in working up H4831sc/ 200 ELD-X loads for my 300 WM for a moose hunt this September. In my Rem 700 the 200 ELD-X touches the lands at 3.608"; I have tried various COL's and powder weights from 72.5 to 73.6 (Hornady's Max is 73.8) and my rifle consistently shoots under 1" groups (100 yds.) throughout the entire range of powder weights and with COL's from 3.55" to 3.603". Velocities ranged from the low 2700's to low 2900's.

My best groups (all under .5") were at 3.600" and 73 gr. which averaged 2800 FPS; the
tightest group so far was .150". That is my load of choice for moose this fall.

My experience is much like yours when I shot the 143's in my 6.5 SS. They seem to be quite forgiving as far as seating depth but my best groups were less than .010" off the lands. Good shooting by the way .....Rich

My experience is much like yours when I shot the 143's in my 6.5 SS. They seem to be quite forgiving as far as seating depth but my best groups were less than .010" off the lands. Good shooting by the way .....Rich

Same here regarding forgiveness except mine seem to like .010" - .020" in my 6.5 WSM.

We asked Hornady 4 years ago to start developing a new 7mm 175 grain bullet, of course, we have had test lots of bullets to load and shoot. My company has sold thousands of shooting systems to hunters that provide feedback on results, and internally just myself and my family have taken hundreds of animals as well. We understand bullets and terminal performance. I've never claimed the ELD-X is the new revolution, but I do understand why it is a significant improvement on existing long range bullets.

My company sells advertising to a very limited, very select group of companies that make exceptional products. However, my endorsement isn't for sale. Just because you question your own integrity, please don't put me in the same class.

Earned some respect with that response!

The love from each accuracy or terminal performance on game? If game how did they hold up on close range shots?

Regarding your question about short range ELD-X effectiveness. I asked Hornady how the the 200 gr. ELD-X would perform on moose at 50 yards (300 WM @ 2800 @ chrono). They said it would be highly effective, although weight retention under those conditions would probably be about 50%.

Got my hands on a box of 212g today to try in my 300 RUM.

Due to some comments I read here I measured the OD of 5 ELDX, 5 ABLR's & 5 VLD Hunting. The average of each group showed the ELDX's to be 0.0005 larger in diameter than the other 2 bullets types. This is not nearly the discrepancy I had read about but will be worth watching to see effects on pressure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts