Hornady A-Tip Real World B.C.

quigley257

I'm curious if anyone has tried running the new 90gr .224" or the 300gr .338" A-Tips and if so, what have you come up with for real world B.C. values as I have not seen any published values as of yet.

I'm curious if anyone has tried running the new 90gr .224" or the 300gr .338" A-Tips and if so, what have you come up with for real world B.C. values as I have not seen any published values as of yet.
Im also curious about the terminal performance of the .338 300 grain A-Tip. Would be a pretty good option for my .338 NM depending on b.c. compared to the Berger Elite Hunter if it would work on critters.

Hornady's ATIP bullets are Doplar Radar tested for BC. I don't think they will be any different than what Hornady publishes.

Hornady's ATIP bullets are Doplar Radar tested for BC. I don't think they will be any different than what Hornady publishes.

So far I'm hearing the A-tip b/c's have been accurate, if anything conservative. Can't say that for the 225 ELD-Match that I run, not even close

So far I'm hearing the A-tip b/c's have been accurate, if anything conservative. Can't say that for the 225 ELD-Match that I run, not even close
I've never ran the 225s in anything. I've shot a lot of the 208s and using the average of all 3 of the listed BCs, they have been dead on for me. With ELDs, I always use the average of the BCs that they list. So far, I haven't had a problem out to 800-1000 yards with them.

I've never ran the 225s in anything. I've shot a lot of the 208s and using the average of all 3 of the listed BCs, they have been dead on for me. With ELDs, I always use the average of the BCs that they list. So far, I haven't had a problem out to 800-1000 yards with them.

That's good. That's sure not been the case with the 225's. Talked to several others who've experienced the same thing. Much, much lower b/c's. Even the custom drag curve in Hornady 4DOF does not match real world drops

That's good. That's sure not been the case with the 225's. Talked to several others who've experienced the same thing. Much, much lower b/c's. Even the custom drag curve in Hornady 4DOF does not match real world drops
What twist rate were you shooting them in? And what BC did you end up using? I'm interested because I was going to give them a try, but I'll probably not bother if the stated BCs aren't close.

What twist rate were you shooting them in? And what BC did you end up using? I'm interested because I was going to give them a try, but I'll probably not bother if the stated BCs aren't close.

9 twist at 3255fps. G1 comes out around .737 or G7 of .377.
I've found that b/c diminishes quicker than predicted after 1100-1200 yards too.

What BC number are you using at what velocity? And at what range do you notice BC run off?

9 twist at 3255fps. G1 comes out around .737 or G7 of .377.
I've found that b/c diminishes quicker than predicted after 1100-1200 yards too.
Wow that's a huge difference. I mean a 225 with a 0.737 BC is good, but it's like 0.040-0.050 lower than advertised. I think I'll just stick to my 208s or test out the 215 Hyrbids.

I see that the B.C.s are finally posted on the Hornady site for these bullets. The 90gr .224" is stated to be .585(G1) and .295(G7). The 300gr .338" is listed as .863(G1) and .435(G7). i was hoping for a better number from the .224" so I guess I'll be staying with the 95gr SMK .600(G1) in my 22 Creedmoor. The 300gr .338 looks like it will be a strong contender in that caliber. I have a 338 Lapua Ackley build in my future that will definitely get tested with the A-Tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.