Hornady .308 caliber 168g BTHP Match

dog caller

I just tried these side by side with the Sierra 168 MK BTHP Match. The Hornady's are more consitent in weight and (at least out of my stick) more consistently accurate. Out of 100 bullets, 84 of them were at 168 or 168.1 grains. 7 were at 168.2-168.3 grains. 5 were at 168.4-168.5 grains and 4 were just under 168 (167.8 to 168.9) grains. Thats 100 bullets within .7 grains of each other. Not too bad for mass produced factory bullets! All rounds were weighed on a Chargemaster 1500. The Sierra's didn't even come close! Accuracy was excellent out of my 22" Douglas barrel: 100 yard groups in the .3's, 200 yarders in the .5's and 300 yarders in the .8's. One 5 shot 300 yard group had the first three in .182", the 4th in .365" and the 5th made the group expand to .877". I should have stopped with 3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The Hornadys are about $5 a hundred cheaper than the Sierra's, too. If any of you like to poke paper or bang gongs with your 308's, you should give them a try. Anyone else tried them?

I shoot more Hornady's than any other brand of bullet and IMHO, they're the most accurate factory bullet around. So it's no surprise that you've got good result. Haven't tried the 168 match for my 308 though. I got stucked with 168 Nosler competition and 155 grain Scenar. I will give it a try someday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Years ago, Hornady match bullets weren't a uniform in two critical areas as Sierra match bullets; roundness of the boattail-body junction and accuracy tests at the factories. Sierra shot their bullet into smaller groups than Hornady could shooting Hornady bullets. Even Sierra couldn't shoot Hornady bullets as accurate as their own. I'd bet things haven't changed.

Every once in a while, some top rifle shooter will try Hornady bullets, but ends up going back to Sierras. I tried some Hornady 168 and 190 grain 30 caliber match bullets in three different barrels. At 600 and 1000 yards, the Hornady bullets shot about 50% bigger 20-shot test groups across all those barrels.

But if Hornadys are the best thing your tube's squirting down range, don't change to something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts