Hornady 143 gr ELD X Terminal Performance Report

Crowe284

So, since the 140 amax was discontinued I developed a very good load with my 6.5 CM that holds 1/2 MOA to 1k with an ES of 5 across a magnetospeed v3 on 10 cold bore shots doing 2721 fps average mv. I killed tons of deer with the creed and the a max with devistating results out to 900 yds. The very vast majority were bang flop high shoulder shots with tremendous internal trauma. On shots where I missed wind and hit deer through the lungs, it would always leave a huge hole, dump all energy in animal and cause lungs to look like they had been blown up with a cherry bomb firecracker leaving blood trails that looked like they came out of a horror movie. Loved those bullets. So on to this season with the 143 eldx. For descriptive purposes, I am killing south Texas deer that have ranged from 80 lbs to 190 lbs live weight at distances from 233 yards to 844 yds over 14 animals with the average shot being 520 yards (I keep a log).

Although dead is dead and I have recovered all animals shot, the terminal performance of the eldx has not impressed me. The internal damage created is 1/4 of the a max. On shots without an exit the wound cavity was very small...size of a walnut in most instances. Thank god the majority have dropped in their tracks from high shoulder shots or I probably would have had a very hard time finding the deer as I am color blind and rely on good blood...or my dog to trail. On shots that found the softer lung area, I am getting exit wounds out to 606 yds that are just barely bigger than the entrance hole with minimal blood. Obviously dead is dead but I prefer devistating performance out of long range bullets and much prefer the amax or Berger VLD over the eldx thus far. I have ordered some eld m bullets and will be trying them to see if wounding capability is better.

All of these bullets have been out of same lot. Intrested to hear others experience with the eld x and eld m. Maybe I got a batch with very thick jackets...or maybe that's just how they are going to work. Really disappointed with this bullet and hope that the eld m behaves more like the a max or I will be shooting Bergers out of this rifle from now on.

As stated above, both recommendations are good. I shoot the Hybrids and get excellent accuracy and terminal performance. The eld match will give you the amax performance.

Maybe the velocity threshold of the creedmore is better suited for the M vs the X. Whereas the larger overbore cases will be better suited to show the benefits of the X line even at point blank ranges that more fragile bullets fail to deliver at.

Maybe the velocity threshold of the creedmore is better suited for the M vs the X. Whereas the larger overbore cases will be better suited to show the benefits of the X line even at point blank ranges that more fragile bullets fail to deliver at.

I think this may absolutely be the case. The bullet may just be too stout for great terminal performance at the lower velocity at distance out of the creed. However, even at shorter range (500 yds, 2000 fps) I'm not impressed. May shine out of a BIG magnum with very high impact velocities....I have killed quite a few deer with same bullet out of a 6.5 4S @ 3075 fps out to 820 yds with same results. Hard to complain when you recover all animals and dead is dead, but even with higher impact velocity, same results. Dosent bother me, will just give me something else to play with!

Interested to see how the eld-m performs. Have some precision Hunter 143 eldx ammo on the way. It was suggested that I try the eldm as well as the Bergers. Need a round that will work well on deer and elk.

Interested as well, I just bought a box of 143's X boolets for my 6.5x284.

I have shot a few deer and several hogs with a 75 grain Amax from a 22-250 AI. I'm running a 22 inch barrel so velocity isn't extreme but terminal performance is. A high Shoulder shot leaves the lungs looking like a bowl of spaghetti.

140 eld m's arrived today. Will be prepping brass this week and hopefully shoot a little before the weekend in hopes of testing them out this weekend. Fingers crossed that they behave like the A-Max....I'd be tickled to death.

140 eld m's arrived today. Will be prepping brass this week and hopefully shoot a little before the weekend in hopes of testing them out this weekend. Fingers crossed that they behave like the A-Max....I'd be tickled to death.
Keep us posted on how they do. I have a question though about your original post. I was always under the impression that amaxs were tough and wouldn't expand at close ranges. Just punch through. So you had good results even at closer ranges? Sorry for the questions, before the long range bug, I only shot ballistic tips so im new to all the premium bullets

Keep us posted on how they do. I have a question though about your original post. I was always under the impression that amaxs were tough and wouldn't expand at close ranges. Just punch through. So you had good results even at closer ranges? Sorry for the questions, before the long range bug, I only shot ballistic tips so im new to all the premium bullets

The old A-max did basically what bergers do. It's a deer's worst nightmare. They hold together just eno ugh to exit as long as you don't hit bone. I was very satisfied with them they served us well. Generally left nearly a fist sized exit. If you hit bone it would grenade in the vitals. Whatever you hit with an amax the vitals come out looking like mush.

Hmm?
My daughter just shot a big bull Elk @ 376 yards. She hit in the crease and bull never took a step. Humped up, *** fell and DRT. We we're shooting 147 Eld M

Ray

The old A-max did basically what bergers do. It's a deer's worst nightmare. They hold together just eno ugh to exit as long as you don't hit bone. I was very satisfied with them they served us well. Generally left nearly a fist sized exit. If you hit bone it would grenade in the vitals. Whatever you hit with an amax the vitals come out looking like mush.
Gotcha. Thanks for explanation. Well if the eldm acts like that I'll definitely buy some factory loads to try out.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.