Horizontal spread ?

red dawg

Hey guy's I wen't out this morning to the range to work on a load combo with rl 25 and 115 vld's in my 2506. I shot 6 groups of 3 ranging from my starting charge of 55 grains to 57.5 grains stepping up in half grn increases and at 56.5 I shot the best group of .415 . So I loaded 3 more rounds later this after noon and shot them and had a horizontal spread from left to right of 1.5 inches while the vertical was perfect. I would like to hear some imput on this from some of you seasoned reloaders I could use some help! Thanks to any and all

KY no the wind is not a factor where I shoot it's down in a almost calm area, and I use a caldwell rock steady front and a rabbit ear sandbag in the rear, the only thing I know that was different is that I fired 6 rounds before my best group and waited at least 5 min between groups to cool the barrel, which is a varmint stainless fluted 26in savage. And my shots this evening was completely cold bore shots that walked in opposite direction of my trigger pull. Oh yea, the trigger is a 1lb sharp shooter brand

Wow, I was hoping to narrow it down some! lol but you may have hit on the bad bench, on the afternoon shoot but really felt solid! dunno I will try it again tomorrow from my range bench that I shot the am group

The ground is the most solid bench available. Try shooting from the prone.

The ground is the most solid bench available. Try shooting from the prone.
sand bags on the ground and a level to kill the cant.... watch your rifle's recoil too as letting her come up irregularly can cause horizontal dispersion too.... more likely to just kill the group, but I've seen the dotted line from that too...

Ok Guy's I will try shooting a group from the ground with a cold bore and a group from the range bench also, it may be the bench I have at home cause it is some taller than the range bench but I don't have a level to use

Do you think it could be that the bore is taking on copper? I dont mean dirty bore cause it was cleaned of carbon before I went back to vld's for this load trial from moly coated bullets

Have you tried any other powders? With my 25-06AI H1000 was by far the most accurate and consistent powder I tried.

Ok Guy's I will try shooting a group from the ground with a cold bore and a group from the range bench also, it may be the bench I have at home cause it is some taller than the range bench but I don't have a level to use
I don't use a level either.... I do however watch for cant using my crosshairs and try for the same hold every time to mitigate recoil tossing the group open by letting the rifle twist or buck. If you are careful with your hold the rifle will likely be at the same cant (hopefully zero) every time also...

you didn't say what the distance was.

I always say vertical is your loading practice and the rifle and horizontal is you.

at longer distances the wind really comes into play!

Gut's it was 100 yds I only hold the gun as well as all shooting with a tight grip on trigger hand and just a normal grip with my left hand, trying to replicate hunting shots as I was free handing

And no Beeman, I have tryed rl 22 and rl 25, I have a pretty good load with imr 4350 and this same bullet but I was looking for a little more velocity and longer barrel life. Besides the other benefit of less recoil with a slower burn rate powder although a 2506 is not a great deal of recoil anyway

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.