Hoppes copper remover vs. Boretech Cu+2

I have tried them all, and found Boretech Eliminator the easiest, best (least offensive) smelling, quickest working, and safest to leave in your barrel. Perfection in a bottle. Just remember not to use brass jags or brushes with it, you will get false positives (Blue) on your patches. Boretech sells jags called Proof Positive, and nylon bore brushes.
I totally agree except I rarely try to remove copper anymore after proper break in. Otherwise, bore tech is as good as it gets!

Finally got wipeout foam in, I put it in my dads 308 that had about 25 rounds through it, never cleaned, and it came out pretty good. Ran a second dose tonight to finish it up, really liking it so far. But its definitely an over night product. If I were trying for a quick clean I'm thinking the boretech is the way to go

Finally got wipeout foam in, I put it in my dads 308 that had about 25 rounds through it, never cleaned, and it came out pretty good. Ran a second dose tonight to finish it up, really liking it so far. But its definitely an over night product. If I were trying for a quick clean I'm thinking the boretech is the way to go

After you finish cleaning with the Wipeout Foam, try a patch or two of the Boretech Eliminator, and let it soak for several minuets. You will be surprised how much copper the Wipeout Foam left in your barrel. The patches will come out blue indicating copper you still had in there. You might not want to get all of the copper out, but it will show you how effective the Boretech is.

Last edited:
While I used Hoppes extensively in my early days, I don't think that I ever had a truly clean bore. Whether for carbon, copper,or both, there are far better solvents available. I personally prefer BoreTech Rimfire formula for my 22's and Boretech Eliminator for general cleaning.....BoreTech Carbon and Copper formulas for the stubborn barrels.

Hopes wasn't cutting it for me so I just made a batch of Blue Goop. Old recipe from a bench rest guy.
20200109_092946.jpg

Last edited:
WEEEELLLLLLLLL, you have us on pins and needles. What's the recipe and what is it best for ? Copper, carbon, plastic, all three ??? Surprised no one else asked.
Copper removal. 38% ammonia, 4 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide and 10 inches 12 gauge Cu wire. Ready in a few hrs. Remove extra copper after 1 week. Use with ventilation.

like everybody else I grew up using hops, then switched over to CLP in the military. Never thought about how many chemicals are in it until I got kids then I found gunzilla and copper Zilla. The gunzilla is 100% plant-based zero harsh chemicals the MSDS sheet is empty. So when my girls want to help me clean my guns I'm not overly concerned about them. And it's a really good gun cleaner as well as the copper Zilla. I like running them on the wool pallets from Brownells, gets in all the nooks and crannies.

like everybody else I grew up using hops, then switched over to CLP in the military. Never thought about how many chemicals are in it until I got kids then I found gunzilla and copper Zilla. The gunzilla is 100% plant-based zero harsh chemicals the MSDS sheet is empty. So when my girls want to help me clean my guns I'm not overly concerned about them. And it's a really good gun cleaner as well as the copper Zilla. I like running them on the wool pallets from Brownells, gets in all the nooks and crannies.
I guess that's the responsible approach, but I tend to parent more like most of our dads and figure if it didnt hurt me it's not gonna hurt them. But then again I have 3 daughters who have been helping butchering animals since they can remember, and I trust my 5yr daughter with a knife (under supervision of course) more than some adults. Got their first BB gun at 4yrs old and first .22lr at 7. I reckon I'm not normal these days but then again I really dont care.

I have been shooting and handloading seriously for over 40 years. I have gone from one direction to the other over the years. I have been one of them, the guy that fires a string of shots at the bench rest match and then works for 30 minutes cleaning the bore. Then I ran into some other people that never clean a bore until accuracy starts to go away. I have become one of those. Some rifles don't shoot their best until they get some fouling in them.

I once witnessed two fellows who were friends almost come to blows at a world class rimfire 22 bench rest match. One of the fellows rifle broke. The other fellow that shot in different set times loaned his rifle to the other fellow so he at least did not make the trip for nothing. When this fellow got through with his round he cleaned the rifle. When the owner found this out boy was he mad and they almost came be blows if one of the range officers had not stepped in to calm them down.

When I do clean and want to remove copper I have used Sweets and Shooters Choice with great success.

I too love the smell of old #9. LOL

Hmmmm…...guess I shouldn't have posted since this was a specific comparison between two cleaners. Sorry didn't take that into account, above post deleted. My bad.. Dave

Last edited:
My test was with original Hoppes but looks like it isnt much better.
Hoppes is still a good carbon product IMO though.
I have to disagree. A few weeks ago a friend brought me a 303 Brit enfield To look at for accuracy issues. He said he cleaned it with hoppes and was getting clean patches out. Stuck a bore scope in there and there was so much carbon that the rifling wasn't even visible! A good scrubbing with KG2 and flitz bore cleaner had it looking good. Bore tech is a great company with great products that work well. Dumped out the hoppes years ago.