"Holy Grail" for varmints

STWdude

First post here. Glad to join in!
Looking @ building my 3rd custom. Going small this time. I want a dedicated coyote duster, paper puncher, beer can shredder. I'll start with the menu of this project:
BH laminated stock - haven't picked style or color, but want to go laminated this time.
Broughton, Krieger, or Bartlein barrel - my smith uses these brands exclusivley. Thinking 25" or 26", not sure on contour, semi hvy / .800??
Stiller Predator action.
Now is where the fun starts - what caliber?? I like the cool look of the AI's, but rather not go to the trouble of forming cases. The 22-243 (plain) / 75 grn rounds, and the .243 /105 grn rounds top the list right now. 1/9 may have to be the twist for these.
I want the wind bucking BC for long range, but still want to get there quick. In other words "I want to burn the candle at both ends".
Max shot on my land will be 600 yds at the absolute max. I must have a repeater that feeds well, so a well jumped round that wont fit the mag is not an option.
Any opines are appreciated.

8 twist 6mmbr with 107 Smk's.

Cheap to shoot.
Excellant Lapua Brass @ $75 / 100
Accuracy to die for with paper or steel punching to 1000

I have taken yotes at 650 and antelope there too. Use a 75 gr V-max and gophers and pairie dogs have split personalities.

and the best for last..... Watch every bullet impact through the scope as recoil is practically none.

Jeff gun)gun)

The guy that's going to build this rifle loves the 6BR, and wanted me to look hard @ the caliber,but he told me that for it to be built "right", I'd have to single shoot it, which is fine for comp, but not for hunting, so I'll pass on that one.

I'd have to single shoot it, which is fine for comp, but not for hunting, so I'll pass on that one.

We use them for Prairie dogs and gophers all the time. We have found that the time it takes to load the mag almost equals out to the little extra time it takes to drop another in the chamber from of close by ammo box of 50.

But I feel you can indeed make one feed just fine. Ther are factory rifles sold in this caliber or 6mm Norma / 6mm br that have 4 +1 mags

Savage 4 + 1 6MM Norma BR/Left Hand Load/Right Han : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Just FWI

Best of luck on your build

Jeff

Thanks for the replies Broz. Your input is respected, but I think I'm going to stick to my original thoughts on this one,
That mag is there for a reason, and if I had to single shoot it, I'd trick out a Ruger #1.
Should I move this post for more viewership??

6X47 Lapua is gaining popularity quite well recently.

Same boltface as a 243, but more efficient than a 243. Short action.

I am playing with an Ackley improved version, and so far velocity is quite impressive with 105's. 3300'/sec with 41 grns of powder. Haven't loaded any light bullets yet, still forming cases and playing with the 105's.

Mine easily fits in a ruger short action with room to spare when 105 A-Max bullets are jammed .020 If you want to burn the candle at both ends, you could get 1-9 twist and plan on shooting 80-95 grn bullets.? A 95 VLD at 3200 is fairly impressive ballistically speaking.

Want to go small I am working on a 6.5x47 necked down to 20 cal. It is going to be my new coyote gun. Screaming with 55 gr bergers ,flatter than a 22-250 imp at 1000 yards. Todd Kindler form the woodchuck den with any help. Plus his is a small caliber guru of some sorts

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.