Hold over or Dial??? Plus scope suggestions?

Thank you guys so much. This has been some great advice. For a little more background. My rifle is a savage 110 accutrigger. Its just a plain jane synthetic sporter stock, sporter barrel. Last 3 round group at 100yds with about a 15 mph quartering wind measures right at .6 moa. I think instead of load tweaking my next step will be to lap the locking lugs and bed the action. Then when I mount the new scope I'm going to use a 1 piece 20moa cant base. I feel that once I get all of this accomplished I will have a rifle capable of more than what the operator will be capable of.
Kirby, I'm glad you brought up the idea of getting off paper. I agree 100% that I will be better off ranging and engaging targets at random distances (and the size of vitals).
Anybody have anymore thoughts? I'm open to all sorts of opinions and advice.
Thanks again, Jason
If it's shooting that well tweaking is not needed.

My advice to you would be to save your money now and get a good scope with either target or tactical turrets and either an MP-8, Mil Dot, or Tactical Milling Reticle.

Those reticles will all very much help you to see your misses and know exactly how much you are missing by at any range.

Once you settle on a load, you can always then have a custom elevation turrett made as well to help you fine tune your shooting even more as well as to help you dial up even faster in a hunting situation.

For most people the less thinking and less math you have to do in the field the better off you'll be.

IT DEPENDS...

My 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle I use in competition has a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 scope with a horus H59 "Christmas tree" style reticle specifically made for holding. An I almost exclusively use holding with that reticle for competition. If you rifle DOPE is accurate then you hold will be accurate IF you know the correct windage. (Or if you move the reticle covering your impact point of a missed shot over to the target for the next shot.)

But my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator hunting rifle has a 5 - 15 x 42 SWFA scope (mil/mil turrets and reticle) that is NOT an Xmas tree type. So I'll hold for elevation and dial if a windage hold is big enough. Without a specific reticle mark to hold on holding "out in space" is guessing and that's not fair to the animal. By holding "out in space" i mean holding where your reticle has no marks.

No "Christmas tree" reticle? Then hold for elevation and dial for windage.

Eric B.

Normally, I dial for elevation and hold windage. But, I practice both dialing and holding. I bought the EBR-2B in a Vortex Razor for just that reason, and practice both dialing and holding.

I prefer to dial elevation like I said above, but sometimes a short window of opportunity presents itself and you must hold. So, practice and become proficient with both.

On another note, does anyone have any experience with that Sightron S-Tac 3-16x42? It seems inexpensive and I was thinking about putting one on the AR.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.