Hog hunting around St George Utah

Playtimefun

Good day folks

The wife and I are thinking about heading St. George, Utah for a tennis vacation (one of our main hobbies together) for the last two weeks in January, 2024. Now she will go take tennis lessons and we have another couple who are down there and he's an avid tennis player. So she's semi taken care of, and while I will go hit a ball a bit with her, I am thinking that I have 2 potential missions while in the US. 1 - to try and find a Ruger M77 in 6.5 Rem Mag. And 2 to see about a pig/boar hunt.

About 6 years ago we were down in Texas for a similar holiday and I tried to go (as I always hear about what pests they are) but everywhere was like $1,200 to go hunt on their land plus trophy fees plus gun rental.

I'm not saying that I'm not willing to pay some cash, but i was hoping for more of a case of... hey... here's some cash to go walk on your land. I bought a license. Im a decent shot. I know not to shoot anywhere near buildings or cows. I close fences. I don't damage crops by driving on them. Let me see if I can find one of these pigs that are doing damage and if I do great... can I dress him out and take a chunk of meat back to BBQ at whereever we rent for a place?

Is this possible down there or is everything have to be guided? I'm will to drive a ways as well.

And I apologize because I'm asking this and the canadian (and more so) the provincial government tries to make a killing on Americans coming to Canada to hunt anything. So turn around is more then fair play, but I'm wondering if I have any possibilities.

Good day folks

The wife and I are thinking about heading St. George, Utah for a tennis vacation (one of our main hobbies together) for the last two weeks in January, 2024. Now she will go take tennis lessons and we have another couple who are down there and he's an avid tennis player. So she's semi taken care of, and while I will go hit a ball a bit with her, I am thinking that I have 2 potential missions while in the US. 1 - to try and find a Ruger M77 in 6.5 Rem Mag. And 2 to see about a pig/boar hunt.

About 6 years ago we were down in Texas for a similar holiday and I tried to go (as I always hear about what pests they are) but everywhere was like $1,200 to go hunt on their land plus trophy fees plus gun rental.

I'm not saying that I'm not willing to pay some cash, but i was hoping for more of a case of... hey... here's some cash to go walk on your land. I bought a license. Im a decent shot. I know not to shoot anywhere near buildings or cows. I close fences. I don't damage crops by driving on them. Let me see if I can find one of these pigs that are doing damage and if I do great... can I dress him out and take a chunk of meat back to BBQ at whereever we rent for a place?

Is this possible down there or is everything have to be guided? I'm will to drive a ways as well.

And I apologize because I'm asking this and the canadian (and more so) the provincial government tries to make a killing on Americans coming to Canada to hunt anything. So turn around is more then fair play, but I'm wondering if I have any possibilities.
Utah is not known as a Mecca for hog hunting

What I see of pig here in the south, is they like to root around. From what I've experienced in Utah the ground is more rocky and not favorable for them to root around much

So that is the big problem I have also with the hog hunting. It gotten insane with the price people want to charge and what its made out to be. If you are having a issue with hogs and are complaining to the government about crop damage, writing your losses off on taxes, and then rake someone over the coals when they offer to go and kill some of the pest destroying your crops, its just not worth my hard earned money.

We have them up here in Saskatchewan but they are an absolute bugger to hunt. We just have too much bush and unless your tracking them on a snowmobile, which is technically illegal, it's really difficult unless your group hunt and locals support you. But even then, the population hadn't exploded yet.

I was just hoping for the chance to literally go for a walk with a rifle in hand. I didn't get drawn for anything up here so it will just be whitetail deer and helping a friend get his moose. Which is literally waiting for the canola crop to be taken off and then we will have to let this guy stop having fun!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20231002_140633.jpg
    IMG_20231002_140633.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 60
Well fellas , you need to practice tennis in Louisiana in the fall of the year! you can hunt hogs on national forest, National wildlife refuge , state management areas with any weapon legal for the season open at the time seasons are plentiful. Hogs are infested in all of our public lands. the only thing not legal at the present is night hunting on public lands. Night hunting is what turned the tide on hogs on private land it makes killing hogs like taking candy from a baby! if Idaho would take the gloves off with wolves like Louisiana has with hogs there problem would be over in a few years.

Lol don't let these guys get you down. There are feral pigs in the Virgin River gorge. They're considered an invasive pest animal and are free to kill on public land. (3+ miles from town) But they are heavily hunted by locals. Making them few and far between in some really rugged terrain. Don't get your hopes up if you want to look for them on the Utah side of the river. You'd have much better luck on the Arizona side of the gorge down in the mud mountain, Mt. Bangs area. Pay attention to where you wander there's Paiute land down there. Also make sure you know you're not killing a javelina. Stop by the Washington county BLM for more information. Good luck.