HOG bait?

big mike 2121

Whats the best bait for Hogs. have some on my deer lease, but they are kinda nomads.......they make a quick hit on feeder or bait pile then gone for a while. Would like to keep them hanging around, so i bust a cap in a cpl of em!1

Believe it or not, one of the things that I was reading on another forum in response to baiting hogs was corn soaked in diesel fuel....lol. The guy said that the hogs tore it up while nothing else with a nose seemed to care for it.

Personally though, I'd try an old favorite coon bait----burnt honey. You can smell scorched honey from a LONG ways away. If you piled up some corn out in the open during the day, then poured your burnt honey all over it, that would give the hogs all day to find it. They probably wouldn't hit it during midday either. Giving you a chance to come in in the evening and bust a few as they start chowing down.

I'd definitely bring a light though. Might be a bit after dark before they get on the food pile.

Back in the day we used diesel soaked corn (keeps varmints from corn) and then poured s ome on some old cut telephone poles we posted so the hogs could rub. Be warned if Game Warden finds you using diesel they will fine you due to enviromental impact.

Now a days we use jello with 2Qts water and soak the corn. You can use mase, sour corn, donuts, fruits, regular corn, hell you name it and they will come to it.

The first thing to remember they have to be around. If you search the net for "hog pipe" they work great and super cheap...... limit the holes to 2-3 and the hogs will be there until there is no feed left. I put a spacer in my endcap to install fruit and powdered jello to keep them coming back when the pipe is empty.

I have taken a post hole digger and dug a hole around 3 ft deep fill with corn and jello, when the hogs find it they will give a chance to shoot. That is if the land owner will let you. Good Luck:D

I have taken a post hole digger and dug a hole around 3 ft deep fill with corn and jello, when the hogs find it they will give a chance to shoot. That is if the land owner will let you. Good Luck:D
I've got a neighbor, who's from the Ft.Worth, TX area, that tells me the post hole full of corn is one of the best ways to keep em around. He'd pour jello, milk, and soda pop etc in as well. He said the trick was to dig as small diameter hole as possible, and as deep as possible. He says that they'll dig at it for as long as it takes to get to the bottom. I'm guessing it works like a champ, he's shown me a bunch of photos of huge hogs he and his Dad have shot. Spotlighting seems to the best way to go, as most of the pics were taken at night. He's talked about the "hog pipe" as well, and said they work great, but the hole alone was usually all they needed in TX.

Corn in a hole with Big Red soda for those that live in Texas where it is sold. You can probably find a cheap equivalent anywhere, but they sure seem to like Big Red.

Love that Big Red, me and the hogs, LOL! Jello and corn in a hole with a little moisture to get the aroma going will get em every time if they are around! It got to where I loved shooting hogs better than deer down in the brush country south of SA!

1 bag of corn
5 packs grape jello
5 packs yeast
1 quart diesel
soak for 4 or 5 days in barrel
pour out
shoot pigs!!!
This is what I put in 10'x10' traps

Whats the best bait for Hogs. have some on my deer lease, but they are kinda nomads.......they make a quick hit on feeder or bait pile then gone for a while. Would like to keep them hanging around, so i bust a cap in a cpl of em!1
Most of the hunters down in Texas claim that Hog Wild was the stuff to use, but we found that some dried corn for filler covered with a simple packet of cool-aid and the hogs will just keep digging the ground like they're headed for China. This tip was giving to me by a ranch hand and the butcher so i trust it hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.