Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature changes

Re: Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature chan

Here - I'll throw some more feces into the rotator. My son shoots a pretty stiff load of RL22 in a 280AI with 168vld's. Ran out of powder, opened a new 5# jug of RL22. Because of a previous experience with different lots of RL powder in the past I started 2 gr. less than he was using, and moved up in .5 gr. increments. Long story short - new jug uses 1.5 gr. less powder to produce the same velocity as the previous jug. I don't even want to know what would have happened if I would have just matched his load and it was a 80 F day out on the prairie.

Re: Hodgdon's "Extreme Powder" - reduce velocity variations due to temperature chan

Here - I'll throw some more feces into the rotator.

I don't even want to know what would have happened if I would have just matched his load and it was a 80 F day out on the prairie.

The crap would have hit the fan! :D

I don't want to be seen to bash Reloader Powders as they are capable of very fine accuracy in my rifles.

The only accurate (hunting) load I could get in my son's .243 was with RE-19 and 100 Nosler Partitions. This was done in May and we successfully hunted with the rifle in South Africa in June. (Same winter temperatures as here in Oz).

Come November back in Oz and blown primers with the Mauser 98 extractor in orbit somewhere of to the east.

A new Lothar Walther barrel and plenty of accurate loads with ADI 2209 (H4350). Happy days.

There's a reason most don't have a lot of controlled data to report. It takes time and costs money. I test just enough to satisfy myself that I know how MV changes with temperature. Plus, my wife doesn't like to find loaded rifles in her food freezers.

I'll check my 300 Win Mag data and report later. I'll have some IMR 7828 data which will be much more temperature sensitive than H1000 & Retumbo were in my .280 RCBS.

LOL She doesn't like them hey? I don't blame her. :)

Thanks for sharing this information which I conciser excellent and worth having!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.