Hodgdons CFE 223

I use it almost exclusively in my 223 and 308, have tried some others made by vihtavouri but this powder meters so well and is so clean burning.
IT works fine in 22/250 and also in 30.06 though surprisingly in 30.06 v 308 it does much better in the 308 with 48.3 grns giving about 2840 fps in the 308 and 49.5 grns giving 2730 fps in the 06, must be down to the case capacity.
Just a heads up pressures in the 22/250 are in excess of 62000 plus psi so work up your loads cautiously, pressure in the 06 and 308 almost identical at around 59000 psi.
FWIW both my guns are ruger single shot so I neck size only, weigh every charge and use S&B primers, I'm also happy with 3 shot groups around 1" at 100 meters.

CFE223 is great powder, very versatile. I get great accuracy with my 6BR, 6 Dasher, 308, 243 and others. My SD and ES is in check, burns clean. the word is getting out, harder and harder to get. Never tried it in a 22-250 but I'd guess it will do very well.

Sub 1" 3 shot @ 1000? Did you mean sub 1 moa? Pretty sure this was just a typo, we've all done it. Sub 1 moa would still be impressive.
No typo. Im not saying zeros are common and I have not shot a lot of them but this powder shot at least 3 for me that I can remember. And a handful of 1"s as well. Heres a couple zeros and a one. Same rifle shot a high 1" in a match for 5 shots with a different powder. CFE 223 showed me some of the smallest stuff I have ever seen, but being a ball powder you have to keep up with it a little more. If a guy wanted to keep on top of it, I think it would only be a matter of time until it broke a record.

Attachments

• thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 224
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 196
Used it for years in my 223's, AI's, 222, and 308. It has given me some great groups and velocities, and in one of my
heavy varmint/target 308's with 155's, it is a stellar performer.

I use it in 308 and 223.Running low so I don't get to shoot as much as I want but I love that powder.
Primers are running low to and waiting for crunch to be DONE!
Old Rooster

No typo. Im not saying zeros are common and I have not shot a lot of them but this powder shot at least 3 for me that I can remember. And a handful of 1"s as well. Heres a couple zeros and a one. Same rifle shot a high 1" in a match for 5 shots with a different powder. CFE 223 showed me some of the smallest stuff I have ever seen, but being a ball powder you have to keep up with it a little more. If a guy wanted to keep on top of it, I think it would only be a matter of time until it broke a record.
That is next level shooting! Should have known you meant what you said.

Has anyone tested it in a wide temperature range. I have some of it but I haven't taken it seriously because it is not one of the "Extreme" powders.

I bought several Boxes of 58gr. 6mm Factory seconds from Midway because my sister in Law had a 243. Then she traded it off so i was wondering what to do with all the "Plinking" Bullets. Since i Had 30LBs of CFE223. (I use it exclusively in my ARs ) I decided to try it. BEST Groups my Browning A-Bolt has ever shot. Havent tried it in 22-250 But i am willing to bet it will work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.