hodgdon extreme versus the others!

tillroot1

This year, I have caught the RUM bug. I have my own .338 Rum and have had a hand in building another for a friend. Many people have harped to use the Hodgdon extreme powders. On both guns I tried H1000 and Retumbo and RE25. Both guns have Rock Creek barrels finished at 28"&27 1/4" on 700 platforms. I am using the 300 grain SMK bullets. With a 9.4 twist. On both guns the RE25 has been better in testing for accuracy and consistant velocity. They are nearly exact with other in powder charge and shoot almost identical. What am I missing that the Hodgdon powder will offer or may produce over the Alliant? I will be helping and building for myself some .300 RUM rifles soon as well, with the 5r rifling, what powders are working for you guys? We will be using 210-240 grain bullets and they will be finished at 28" thanks for your opinions.

Ron Tilley

RL25 and H50BMG have worked the best for me in my 300 RUM tight neck.

I have not seen much temp sensitivity in the RL25 like some have. In fact I have seen my loads get a bit faster when it got colder.

Alliant and H powders are both excellent. Choose the one that works best for you and be happy. It helps to do temp testing with both loads. Once you have determined how much you will gain or loose for a given temp, you can then adjust your velocity accordingly for your PDA program.

I have never seen an independant test showing one brand of powder as having an edge over any other.

Just use whatever your barrel/bullet likes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.