Historical long range shooters.

As a teen, I guess mine would have been reading various publications regarding the old International Creedmoor Matches of the later 1800's and beyond. Some amazing shooters back in those days using what we consider old tech and BP. Then, reading the more modern Palma and 1,000yd shooters at the NRA Nationals, and then, finally attending a few.

That set a fire in me to begin shooting some of those and other LR matches myself.

For me....it was Quigley! Now that bucket ...was a shot!
Loved the movie, Quigley Down Under,.. BUT IDK about hitting, a Water Bucket, "OFF Hand" at, 800-900 Yards, in the Wind with, a Big 50, is kinda FAR Fetched, IMO and "Suspect" if really, "doable" even with, Today's,.. Modern Rifles ( Key words, "Off Hand",.. Rested,.. YES ! )
Simo Hayha, A couple of, Russian "Lady's", our Top SEAL Snipers and Carlos Hathcock, were / ARE,.. actually, the Best,.. Snipers.
SEAL's Hitting Pirates, at DISTANCE from, a Rolling Ship, in the Ocean,. OMG !!!

Hands down Carlos Hathcock. No nerves and he left his in a bucket by the door when he left. As for Elmer Keith, I wonder is the person calling him such an impolite name, ever met him or shot with him? On any given day there are a whole bunch of people that may be very polite and amiable but on that one bad day, may well deserve that impolite name. I know for a fact, based on some of the comments on this forum, that there are a lot of people that might deserve that nasty label.
Once again, my parents always told me a couple of things. One being "If you cant say anything nice, don't say anything at all". The other being "It is better to let people think you are an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove it".

As a Kid in my 20's, I read, the Exploits / Opinions of, Both Elmer Kieth and Jack O'Conner,.. religiously !
You gotta Remember that, this WAS, Pre-Range Finder, PRE- Muzzle Brake and, Pre-Berger, DRT, "Killer bullet's" at, HIGH Velocity, Days.
I leaned towards, the Bigger Cal's and Built, a .338 Win Mag Custom rifle on a German MK-V, L-H action, 25 1/2 inch Douglas, Premium Barrel hitting almost, 3,000 FPS with, 210 gr. Nosler Part's Hand Loaded and I was, "In Tall Cotton" for about, 15 years ( It killed at, BOTH, Ends ).
Elmer was, a Bit Puffed up and sometimes Rude BUT, I thought Highly of, his LR Shooting and Testing, Skills !
Big, TOUGH, Bullets, Do Kill and Penetrate,.. WELL !
NOW, I Like, Medium weight Bullets at, Fast, Flat, High Velocity and "Explosive" in, a .270 WSM / Wby or, 6.5 PRC ( Maybe, ole' Roy Weatherby' WAS,. "Right",.. all along,.. LOL )

Last edited:
I remember reading about that. That is absolutely fantastic that you actually had the opportunity to meet him.
Yeah, Chuck was a fun guy to hang with and a heck of a Salmon fisherman. I also had to good fortune to meet Gunny Hathock a few times over the years before he passed... both were just super nice guys and great Americans. Oh by the way any of the guys here that's ever used a PVS-2 will tell you, that is some crazy good shooting with that old Nam star-light model. Cheers

Yeah, Chuck was a fun guy to hang with and a heck of a Salmon fisherman. I also had to good fortune to meet Gunny Hathock a few times over the years before he passed... both were just super nice guys and great Americans. Oh by the way any of the guys here that's ever used a PVS-2 will tell you, that is some crazy good shooting with that old Nam star-light model. Cheers
Yeah my father is a Vietnam veteran. But I am a little jealous that you had the pleasure to have been friends with those caliber of men. What Chuck did that night after the helicopter crash and his scope being knocked off position is absolutely amazing to perform what he did. And a lot of other men that did truly amazing feats of heroism in the line of duty that people have forgotten. It's one of Americans Saddest event's how the Vietnam vets we're treated by their own country men. So for all you former and current members of the military thank you and God bless.

As a Kid in my 20's, I read, the Exploits / Opinions of, Both Elmer Kieth and Jack O'Conner,.. religiously !
You gotta Remember that, this WAS, Pre-Range Finder, PRE- Muzzle Brake and, Pre-Berger, DRT, "Killer bullet's" at, HIGH Velocity, Days.
I leaned towards, the Bigger Cal's and Built, a .338 Win Mag Custom rifle on a German MK-V, L-H action, 25 1/2 inch Douglas, Premium Barrel hitting almost, 3,000 FPS with, 210 gr. Nosler Part's Hand Loaded and I was, "In Tall Cotton" for about, 15 years ( It killed at, BOTH, Ends ).
Elmer was, a Bit Puffed up and sometimes Rude BUT, I thought Highly of, his LR Shooting and Testing, Skills !
Big, TOUGH, Bullets, Do Kill and Penetrate,.. WELL !
NOW, I Like, Medium weight Bullets at, Fast, Flat, High Velocity and "Explosive" in, a .270 WSM / Wby or, 6.5 PRC ( Maybe, ole' Roy Weatherby' WAS,. "Right",.. all along,.. LOL )
Yeah I started hunting in high school in '88 with my dad's spoterized Springfield in 30-06.
my 1st hunting rifle I purchased was a Winchester m70 in 7 rem mag. Sadly a ex girlfriend thought that my stuff was her's and stole it along with a few other rifle's. I started getting into long range shooting from reading the exploits of the military snipers thru out the wars and found it absolutely fascinating how one person with the skills and determination can effect history.

I have never done any sniper distance shooting at people, but it would seem easier than shooting someone up close, this would be much harder to live with. There is a certain smell as well as the visuals that can never be erased.
I will second that. Shot my first NVA at 40 ft looking square at me with his rifle down during a mortar attack out in the bush at 0200. Barky illumination made it look almost like daytime. That is a smell, sight and sound I will never forget.

I will second that. Shot my first NVA at 40 ft looking square at me with his rifle down during a mortar attack out in the bush at 0200. Barky illumination made it look almost like daytime. That is a smell, sight and sound I will never forget.
Their was a book written about the effects of killing at close range that was required reading for army officers training called "On killing". I think that was the name. Glad you came out alive.

The cabins at the Whittington Center have plaques of some of the first BR Hall of Famers. These guys plowed ground that we take for granted everyday when we shoot. The only name I can remember reading was Tom Gatewood Sr, he won a 1,000 yard rifle match in 1956 at San Antonio TX.

Yeah my father is a Vietnam veteran. But I am a little jealous that you had the pleasure to have been friends with those caliber of men. What Chuck did that night after the helicopter crash and his scope being knocked off position is absolutely amazing to perform what he did. And a lot of other men that did truly amazing feats of heroism in the line of duty that people have forgotten. It's one of Americans Saddest event's how the Vietnam vets we're treated by their own country men. So for all you former and current members of the military thank you and God bless.
Rotten,
Good on your father, be proud. Sorry, I think you're thinking of Army Sniper Sgt. Ed Easton on top of the crashed "Huey" at night... a great story by the way. U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Adelbert F. Waldron was the top sniper for the Army in those years.
Cheers

Recent Posts