High-Tech Specialties Stocks

petenz

I'm looking at one of these for my Model 7 build,

does anyone have any experience? I have used one on a custom .260 Howa and it seemed pretty good but that was just a few shots on the range.

Any info appreciated:)

The high tech stocks (Bansners) come unfinished and inletted, but I would not say they are drop in. They also need to be painted, and this may deter many. So, while the cost up front seems like a good deal, after factoring in labour, bedding materials and proper paint, it has been my experience a finished Mcmillan Edge would come in only slightly more expensive.

I recently purchased one for my new elk rifle, a 300 RUM SPS. I needed to relieve the action inlet to fit the action first, and lower the entire inletting, especially at the rear tang, so the action bedded into the stock deep enough. After that, I needed to deepen and file away material to properly inlet the HFP bottom metal to open and close without any contact. I also had to inlet the bottom metal depth to bed the bottom metal and trigger guard flush with the stock, and getting everything square was a bit frustrating. After that, I filled all the stock cutouts to match the lines of the action, including rear tang, safety and action cutout. Then came bedding the action and barrel (to evenly float the barrel on both sides and get rid of the large gap it came with). Then the paint job with duracoat, which was new for me so I needed to spend extra $ to get geared up for a HVLP spray gun.

P3230464.jpg

P3230467.jpg

It turned out very well, but only after taking my time over about 40 hours of labour - a good winter project. Many would not go to the extent I did, but I plan on building this rifle over many years into a fully custom rifle, all in small steps, so the extra effort was worth it for me. And the finished stock handles well and mitigates recoil superbly - very, very impressive. But would I do it again ? Probably not.

P4010522.jpg

P4010525.jpg

thanks, that's the sort of info I'm after :)

nice looking rifle by the way

I don't mind doing a bit of work on the stock,

but I've emailed McMillan to get a quote on a Hunters Edge stock

McMillan advised me that there is a 4-5 month lead time on all stocks at present,

So I've ordered a High Tech, hopefully it doesn't require too much fitting. I'll let you know how it goes when I get the rifle all together

McMilan generally has stock of a few factory leftovers or orders cancelled or whatever that they sell as specials - you won't get to choose everything, but you will not wait and you'll save a few $.

Kal - very very nice paint job.

Of all the stock blanks I've done so far the Hi-tech stocks require the least amount of finishing, the out of the mould finish is alot better than others I've used.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.