High BC 375 Bullets

dakor

I know there are lots of guys wanting the same thing I do a high bc bullet in a 375. Well after talking to some bullet makers the reason you don't have them is because J4 does not make a jacket for them and Sierra wants to much money for theirs. So I emailed Berger as some of you know they are coming out with 3 new 338 bullets this year and would condsider the 8mm and 375 if they get enough requests. So if you want 375 bullets you need to start calling Berger or emailing them and let them know if there is a good enough demand for them. You probably won't see them for a year or so but at least we could get the ball rolling. I will even make it easy for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Eric Stecker 714-447-5434

[email protected]

I can confirm that on the LRBT bullets. I have been shooting them for a while, about 500 now in testing the 375 SOE rifle. It's the 408 CheyTac case (using TTI brass) necked down to 375. At 3100 fps ( a little on the slow side, but it saves barrels ) it has a supersonic range of 2900 yards, which is 400 yards past Barretts claims of 2500 yards, in a barrel killing combination.

The 375 LRBT bullet is the slickest bullet around. Yes, that are on the expensive side for now, but if you want supreme performance, check them out. There is no comparsion. Ignore the statements you'll hear about needed special barrels and twists, it's truely irrelevant becuase if you're building one of these hotrods, it's ALL special, and you're not likely to shoot 50 rounds in a session, well maybe you are. I've built some of these, here is a link to my website with some research on teh 375 and a couple of pics of some rifles.

I really push these bullets becuase there is no comparison, their BC claims on their website is actually lower in most cases than the true BC value over the supersonic range. There have been claims of a lack of accuracy, but that is usually attibuted to the rifles and barrel combinations. You cannot swedge these bullets down a barrel like you can a jacketed bullet, you can engrave them to spin them correctly, but you can't squeeze them. Then they become inaccurate.

Sniping Operations Executive Home Page

SOE 375 Web Page
Docs_finished_375_right_front_side.JPG

Triggerfifty,

I have two questions for you about the LRB bullets and your 375-408.

What is you actual group size @ 1000 yards, 1500 yards,and 2000 yards? And can you post some pics of them for us?

d-a

Triggerfifty,

I am cuirous, are you doing all of the machining on these rifles or just assembling the barreled receiver to the stocks?

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a question for all of you how many talked with Berger about a 375 Bullet? I am using the original Hammer of Thor a 375 H&H. I figure it should be a good Elk rifle out to 800 yards it would do a lot better if we had some higher bc bullets. Right now I am playing around with the 300gr Sierra and 260 Accubond. I am using a plain jane REM 700 BDL so I do not know if it will shoot those Lostrivers or not. At $33.10 for a box of 20 is crazy. I do not know how the guy there can justify his cost but he be nuts. If it was for 50 I would buy some and try them at least. I usally shoot a 100 rounds just finding a load and testing it out. I also shoot another 100 or so before a hunt to make sure I know the load. You are talking $331 in bullets not including the shipping if my rifle did shoot them.

Personnally, and mind you this is just my personal opinion, but I think these bullets are ignorant. THey are freakishly over priced and in most states you cant even hunt with the as they are a non expanding bullet.

I think it is great that people are out there pushing the envelope and developing greater projectiles but these are not a hunting bullet and cannot be fired accuratly in most any hunting rifle. YOu must have a special bbl to get them to shoot and while any big gun custom rig is made up of "special" components in other rigs you can still fall back on other bullets or at least have the option. From what I understand of these LRB bullets your rifle must be dedicated to that bullet alone.

Defiantly a interesting bullet but not really practical IMOP and WAYYYY to **** expensive.

steve

d-a... on group sizes, here you are. These are trajectory measuring groups. 4 shots is intentional, there is no 5th shot. Much of the shooting so far is on sub MOA steel targets as the guys that were here for the 24-27 shoot. 12' x 12s, 12 x 20s, 24s x 24x etc., at unknown distances. Using a computer algorith that I developed in the late 80s, I can back calculate the exact BC if I have the muzzle velocity for the shot, and the elevation setting from a parallel bore. Intentional long range groups will be further researched next week.

As you know, the trouble with that is when a human is attached to a gun, MOST humans are outshot by the gun, yet the gun/ammo is judged based on what the human did or didn't do. Hence some arguements that some don't get the performance out of a certain gun (50 cal military guns is a great example), ammo, or bullets (LRBT in some cases).

On bullet costs, you get what you pay for frankly. Yes, there are cheaper bullets in comparative calibers (338 LRBT 270 solids vs. Sierra 300 gr. MK) and such. But, there is also a huge difference in allowable error in your shot. The supersonic range of the 338 / 300 gr. SMK is pretty much 2000 yards if you drive it a 3300 fps. At more normal speeds in a 338 Lapua, it's 1600 yards. The 270 gr. LRBT 338 bullet has a 2000 yard supersonic range at NORMAL VELOCITIES. Ultimately, it depends on what you want.

SOE's primary function is training and operational sniping. Our concern is not shooting game animals, but shooting at something that shoots back, or can hurt you in other ways. Therefore, our allowable error on any target is much less because if you miss, hell can be made.

Cost is not irrelevant, because even the military has a budget, but it's bang for the buck. The .375 SOE has such range, power, High BC value, and allowable error that 1500 meter shooting is basically easy. Guys on the 24-27 shoot was that here. BUT, it does require computer generated fire control. Not the cheaper programs that use a single BC or even 3 BCs but use a database of hundreds of BC values (actually drag co-efficients).

Another potentially interesting subject, I thank you guys for the hard questions. I invite them, but if proof is provided, shoot it, support it, or go away. (said jokingly of course).

Steve, first question. How is a bullet ignorant? It has no brain to be ignorant of anything. Only kidding, but you get my point. I know this is a hunting website, BUT these are NOT hunting bullets. LRBT makes a high BC J36 Hunting bullet that works well. Heavy game have been taken here at long range with .408 Cheytac rifles. It's a solid, and none of them have made 2 steps yet after being hit by these long solids. (part of their wounding physiology is that long bullets start to rotate soon after encountering tip resistance. Tell me a 350 or 420 grain bullet turning sideways at 2000 fps (remaining velocity) and survive?

PS, what states don't allow these solids, i'd like to research it. Also, on your statement on these LRBT bullets not being able to be shot accurately in normal rifles, NOT TRUE. As I said above, a special barrel is used for the match bullets, because we engrave them less. Other match rifles use a tight bore to squeeze a jacketed bullet, to obtain better accuracy. The LRBT J36 hunting bullets shoot very well in conventional (remington, etc.) rifles BECAUSE they don't use tight bores and group very well out of them. This was established years ago. Is your opinion based on experience, or just a feeling? Again, is your understanding based on experience or from the "opinion" of others on a website?

respectfully,
Trigger

lerch,

Not really too costly for what they actually do or meant to do.

I've used the J36s in a 270. They were outstanding for big game and yotes at any distance the 270 AND I were good for. But they are only 2 bucks each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif They shot outstanding in my Lilja barrel.

Warren gave me a couple of the 338 bullets (250 & 270grs). As I put them in my front pocket I noticed a bit of a grin on his face. About half way home I knew what the grin was all about. Had to stop and get them out of my pocket. Ouch! Meplate is maybe the width of one molecule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sierra 250 GameKing LRB 250 LRB 270

332338-LRB-1-med.jpg

Sorry about the tip on the 270gr bullet. Been using it for center punch and various other nifty tools. If I han anything but a factory 338 bbl I'd be shooting them.....

Now, back to the 375 BC topic....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

300gr SMK going sub sonic at 2000yds if launched at 3300fps????? I figure it to be closer to 2400-2500yds.

I commented on the inability to use the bullets for hunting because even though that isnt your concern it is this forums.

Again I think this is all interesting and I like your round and rifle so dont take anything the hard way, I just wanna see the proof before I buy into anything

Trigger, what´s the j36 smaller caliber performance like at short and long range ( say 264 up to .308)..similar to a barnes x/ TSX???

They are pricey.. no big deal in a hunting bullet, how much do you guys pay for a hunt???

And TRigger, just for curiosity, what kind of powders are you using on your 375??

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.