Hi, new member in central PA

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Knife, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Knife

Knife Member

I figured I'd join since I was finding a lot of answers here for my searches. Still going through the archives... trying not to keep re-asking the same questions. A little about me:
    Retired Air Force, Airborne, intelligence collection, codebreaking, linguist/translator. Spent 16 of 20 years overseas.
    I've shot out to 1,000 meters but have never taken game past 400m.
    Recently started building my own guns. A couple of AR15's, re-barreled a Savage 340 (that got me hooked on Savages), re-built a Savage 10FP, then stripped a Savage 111 (30-06) to the bare action and re-built it as a .300 Win Mag (consistent 3" groups @ 500m).
    I reload my own ammo, do as much of my own gun smithing as possible without a lathe (but I do have a small milling machine).
    Current projects to build: A light-weight long range hunting rifle for moose/elk, a 1911 45ACP, a long-range AR10.

Cheers,
    Knife

2. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

Hi knife , your a hometown guy . I'm in Gearhartville . Jim

3. C.O. Shooter

C.O. Shooter Well-Known Member

Welcome from blair county!

4. Knife

Knife Member

Hey, neither of you are far. I'm in Morrisdale. Do either of you use the range near Allemans (?sp). Looking for a place to get out to 1,000m for this summer. Local range is only to 500m.

Knife

5. C.O. Shooter

Reade Range is about 35-45 minutes from me. It's in the fallen timber area. I'm going up there in a few weeks to shoot @ 1000! Welcome to Reade Range. A guy I work with has access to 1500 - 1800 yard strip jobs, hoping to tag along next time they go!

6. jimbires

jimbires Well-Known Member

I use west branch , I'm guessing that's where you go too . I've never been to Reade , I think it's the one in Allemans . I've looked through their schedule and there is not much open time for a guy to just go and shoot . there is also Ridgeway rifle range . I'm just about positive it's 1000 yds . I think I'm going to check out the range that is around Lewistown it looks to have a little more open times , than Reade , for a regular guy to go .

Welcome to Mifflin County Sportsmens Club. Lewistown, PA.

Ridgway Rifle Club Home

7. Knife

Knife Member

Thanks for the info... Looks like Reade is still my best bet, kinda pricey though at $80 a year and only able to shoot at set ranges. I was a member before they expanded the range and it is not quite what I want. Since I work weekends, it's usually easy to get a range all to myself if I am able to get a key.

8. C.O. Shooter

I believe they had trouble with people shooting propane tanks and what not, so they raised their rates and got rid of some of the trash!