Hi all

neutral

Hi guys, My name is Laurent and i live in winnipeg. I'm not new to hunting or shooting by a long shot but i am new to the long range game. Last year i bought a stevens 200 in 223 and fell in love with long range varmint hunting. I loaded up a bunch of different loads and eneded up with some decent performers. The other day i was pestering a couple gophers at 400 yds. never did connect tho. We shot some disc er blades at 400 and i was hitting them pretty consistently. I did however notice that my barrel loses accuracy from fouling after about 50 rds or so. Is that normal? otherwise it shoots 1/2 " groups no problem. So I ordered a ss heavy contour 26" 223 barrel from Mcgowen precision. Great service. I ordered a thumbhole laminate stock from stockys and its already here. SOO sweet. I installed a lighter spring on the trigger and am glass and pilar bedding the action when it comes.

I do have a little dilemma. I have a banner 6x18x50 scope no turrets and i'm worried it wont fit on the heavy barrel. My friend has a 6x18x40 pineridge cabelas scope with turrets and calliber. If it doesn't fit he agreed to swap with me. Is that a good idea? they are about the same in quality. I like the look of the 50 but i need the turrets i think. what do you guys think.

anyhoo glad to be here and hope to learn and share with all you guys and gals. Be sure to post some pics when its all said and done.

Last edited:
Welcome, glad to have you here. lots of good folks and lots of good info. I prefer cleaning the barrel every 20-25 rounds. Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.