Hey I'm new at this. For PaHunter

Dave King

Hey I\'m new at this. For PaHunter

PAHunter's post

Hey im new at this. This year in deer season i was intoduced to long range shooting. On the third day of deer season i was hunting with my dad when i saw a few deer across a ridge. I had practiced a few shots out to 600 yds. with his rifle (model 70 .300 weatherby)so I asked him to let my shoot it. After he realized i was serious he handed me the rifle. After waiting that split second or two after the shot we were both amazed when the big doe started rolling down the mountain. Needless to say im very intrested in getting into this long range shooting. Im looking for some input on a good gun to start with. i will be shooting between 300 and 800 yards mostly, but my budget is sorta limited, and im lefthanded. any recommendations?

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Re: Hey I\'m new at this. For PaHunter

A great weapon to shoot at long range like that is a 25-06 it shoots very flat and is a good overall weapon. It might be a little more expensive b/c your a lefty but its a great gun if you can find a model that you like.

thanks for the advice, too late though. I already bought two guns(sold a few valuables for the money
rolleyes.gif
)one is a savage model 12 .300 wsm and the other a model 70 classic featherweight in 7mmWSM, they both shoot great
grin.gif

Left handed factory guns are not hard to find. Remington, weatherby, Savage & Winchester all make them, to name a few.

If you are really interested in taking biggame out to 800yds as you mentioned, than any of the big 300's would be a good choice. Your father's 300Wby would be just about right IMO.

I use a 7STW for my longrange shooting but do not take shots that far on whitetails. But shooting varmints......well thats a horse of a different color.
grin.gif

VH

Yeah I was looking for a .300 weatherby but ended up getting a .300 wsm in the savage for those shots out to a thousand yards. For my general hunting and medium range(out 600 yards) I got a model 70 7mm wsm.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.