help

rclouse79

After running my cases through my neck sizing die and filling them with powder I went to start a bullet and found I was able to push it all the way down with my fingers. I dumped the powder, removed the primers and ran them through the neck sizing die with a little more vigor. It definately tightened the neck up. My questions are how tight do you want the bullet fit, how do you make it reproducable, and how do you measure it.

Need more info. How is your die set up in the press? I think if you have the proper die in the press and you size the case properly, it is impossible to have a bullet go into the case that easy, unless you had the die modified to the point where it doesn't size the case neck diameter down enough.

When you ran it into the die, does it full length size the case or neck size only?

Can you post some pics?

The neck sizer die needs to be set so that the entire neck gets sized. It should be set so that the shoulder area is not touched by the die. If you can see that the neck is being fully sized and yet a bullet will move in the sized case neck your sizing die is not with-in spec and you should contact the maker of the die so that you can have the die replaced by them.

I bought the Lee three die set. I was using the neck sizing die and followed the directions that came with them. Screwed the die down until it contacted the shell holder. Screwed the die down and additional 1 1/4 turn. Held press down with 25 lbs of force.

I have never used a Lee neck sizing die, and no longer buy or use Lee dies at all. Having said that, I don't see the need to adjust any die so that it is "whacking" my shell holder with every pull of the lever. In my opinion the die should be adjusted so that the case is deprimed and the neck is fully sized, that is with a neck size only die. When setting the depth of the die in the press I put the ram at the top of it's stroke and turn the die in until it touches the shell holder and then back it out about 1/4 turn , then lock the die down with the lock nut. After that is set correctly I run the stem up very high in the die, then place a case in the shell holder and run the ram up and down and see if the neck is making contact with the die and adjust the stem until the entire neck is sized but not the shoulder.

I had the same instructions with my cheapo RCBS dies I first bought in 88. That is a BASIC method of sizing. It will assure that the whole neck is sized and the shoulder is bumped back quite a bit.

DON'T DO IT THAT WAY ANYMORE.

At MOST you want to bump the shoulder .001 and you will need the tools to measure your cases when you set up your sizing die. I don't have any experience with Lee dies as I was advised not to use them but I do find a lot of reloaders like the collet dies.

when you set up to start your sizing, measure the outside diameter of the fired case first. Run the case into your sizer die and measure your outside diameter again at the mouth, middle, and base of the neck.

Derek, RC79 is using a neck sizing die and the cases shouldn't have any shoulder set-back if the die is postioned properly in the press. I realize that a F/L die would have to be adjusted more exactingly in order to keep from over working the brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.